Graphing Question - Area Graph with 2 variables

sooroo

Hello,

I am trying to create an Area graph in Excel 2000.

Here is my data series:

Average Turnaround Time for Phase 1, 2, 3: 35, 65, 70
Total Projects in Phase 1, 2, 3: 19, 32, 17

I want Turnaround time to be on the X axis and Total Projects to be on the Y axis. Then I want the 3 Phases to flow into each other, i.e. the first phase is 35 units wide, the 2nd phase picks up where the last one dropped off and is 65 units wide and so on.

I want to be able to tell from the width which phases take longer and from the height, which phase is the most populous. I've been searching for a while, and I can't find a good way to do this. Ideally it would be an area graph, but columns would work too if their widths could be manipulated.

Thanks so much for the sounding board. :eek:

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Thanks for pointing me to this. I would never have found this myself.

This will really help me to understand how to structure everything.

This board is the best! :biggrin:

Upvote 0
You are welcome. Glad to be of help.

I hope to have a charting utilities available soon. One of the things it will do is take a dataset and reorganize it so that it can be used in a side-by-side stacked chart. You will be able to specify how many columns go in each stack.

Upvote 0
That sounds really interesting... I will definitely be interested to see that!

How can I make sure to hear about it when it comes out?

Upvote 0
I have been trying to figure out the formulas in this example, and I am having real problems with the OFFSET function.

The general description says that you will get an error message if you don't refer to a cell or cell range as the first argument. I am referring to a cell, but it's still giving me this error message. I tried doing my own formula, and when that wasn't working, I tried to replicate the formula in the example, and I'm still getting a #VALUE! error. I am using Excel 2000 on an XP machine. Is there a limitation in the version I'm using? Or is it a user error that I'm not seeing?

=OFFSET(Sheet1!$B$5,0,0,COUNTA(Sheet1!$B:$B)-1,1)

Thanks so much! :oops:

Upvote 0
On each page of my web site is a third party service that notifies you whenever the page changes. Consider using that.

That sounds really interesting... I will definitely be interested to see that!

How can I make sure to hear about it when it comes out?

Upvote 0
No, OFFSET has been supported going back...well, forever.

Do you have data in column B? At least one value in B5 with a header in B4?

I have been trying to figure out the formulas in this example, and I am having real problems with the OFFSET function.

The general description says that you will get an error message if you don't refer to a cell or cell range as the first argument. I am referring to a cell, but it's still giving me this error message. I tried doing my own formula, and when that wasn't working, I tried to replicate the formula in the example, and I'm still getting a #VALUE! error. I am using Excel 2000 on an XP machine. Is there a limitation in the version I'm using? Or is it a user error that I'm not seeing?

=OFFSET(Sheet1!$B$5,0,0,COUNTA(Sheet1!$B:$B)-1,1)

Thanks so much! :oops:

Upvote 0
Right, that's exactly what I have. B5 is the number 10, and B4 is the header for this column.
A B
4 PLANT VOLUME
5 A 10

It says that the hard work in this graph is done by using defined names. Do I have to name the cells in order for it to work?

Upvote 0
The defined name refers to the OFFSET formula. See
Named Formulas
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/dynamic_charts/named_formulas.html

and
Names in Charts
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/dynamic_charts/names_in_charts.html

Right, that's exactly what I have. B5 is the number 10, and B4 is the header for this column.
A B
4 PLANT VOLUME
5 A 10

It says that the hard work in this graph is done by using defined names. Do I have to name the cells in order for it to work?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosWin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back