green triangles disallowing number formatting

kimbo

I imported a data file from Crystal Reports (i.e., a database query program) into Excel. I am attempting to put a common number format (i.e., “zero decimal places”) in all of the cells in "Column D." Henceforth in this message, I will refer only to the cells in "Column D" of the Excel file.

I highlighted the column and tried to put in the number formatting. However, some of the cells did not “take” it; they kept two decimal places. Those same cells have green triangles in the upper left corner. In other words, all of the cells took the number formatting except those with the green triangles.

What are those green triangles? Are they preventing the number formatting from being changed?

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
that's excels error checker - the green triangle. it's just saying that you have what excel see's as an error, and should give you a remedy upon activation of the cell.

Upvote 0
Firefytr is correct about the green triangles. They are XL's error tracking info.

The errors (in this case) show that you have text that appears to be numbers, but it is not.

There are various methods to correct this, but the easiest (IMHO) is to select the column and goto Data|Text to Columns. Click Finish on the dialog, and this should convert your text to numbers.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back