grey out title or cell heading in cell to be typed in

tschaap

I'm in a space crunch, so Instead of typing a title or heading over the top of a cell, is there a way to put the title in the cell, lightly greyed out, so it can still be seen, but so I can still type over it. For example, if I want a phone number to go into a cell, I would normally do this: Phone Address Zip State
( cell ) (cell) (cell) (cell)

So, instead of that, is there a way to have the word Phone inside the cell where I want the info typed, greyed out?

Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Tim

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Hey Lenze! Thanks for the reply.

It's in a form I've created. I built these worksheets that I do quotes on for my customers and I constantly fill in name, address, phone, etc ....

I just figured if i could put the title of the cell, in the cell, but greyed out and that would let me type over it, it would solve my problem.

Upvote 0
If your form is saved as a template, you can do that in the template, setting the font color to grey. You can then use a Change Event to return the font color to black when data is entered.

lenze

Upvote 0
Or without code, just change conditional formatting in the cells to be:
=A1="Phone"

And make the formatting light grey. Repeat for address, etc.

(still requires a template, but no VBA)

Upvote 0
Sal, your answer seems to be a quick easy way to set this up. However, I've tried it and it's not working for me. It's probably in the way I'm trying to do it. Do I go into formatting first or put that =A1="PHONE" formula in the cell?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Sal's suggestion is very cleaver!!
You will need to use conditional formatting on each field. Select the Phone Field (Say A1) and choose CF> Formula Is option. Enter =A1="Phone" and select a light gray for Font color. Do the same for other fields. Save as a Template

lenze

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianhfield

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back