Greyed Out Menu Items

jlopcpa

This is a first for me, and I dont know what happened. All of a sudden when I open excel (either a new sheet or an existing file) the following menu items are greyed out;

File: Save, Save As, Save As Web Page,

Edit: Cut, Copy, Paste, Paste Special, Paste as a Webpage, Delete Sheet, Move or Copy Sheet, Links, & Objects

Insert: Worksheet

Tools: Compare, Protection, & Macros

The edit commands are also greyed out from right clicking. However I can use the keboard commands to copy, paste, etc.

This is really weird and I dont know what to do. Everything I have found indicates that the sheet protection is on, but even the menu choice is greyed out.

Any Ideas? Thanks

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Welcome to the Board!

Open a new workbook and hit ALT+F11 to open the VB Editor. Find the "ThisWorkbook" module from the list in the Project Explorer window on the left hand side and paste this code in there:

<font face=tahoma><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> Workbook_Open()
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> cb <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> CommandBar
        <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Restore all Command Bars</SPAN>
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Each</SPAN> cb <SPAN style="color:#00007F">In</SPAN> Application.CommandBars
            cb.Enabled = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN>
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> cb
        ActiveWorkbook.Close <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

Then save & close the workbook and reopen it. It should restore all of the Command Bars. We keep the auto open/close wb handy for users who manage to FUBAR themselves. ;)

Hope that helps,

Smitty

Upvote 0
Smitty,

Thanks for the welcome and the advice, but unfortunately I don't think that it worked. I dont know if I am did it right or not, but when I reopen the wb i get the enable marcos prompt, which I tell it enable and then I get a grey screen were typically the worksheet would be. I try and open any existing sheet and the commands are still greyed out.

Upvote 0
OK, try this in a general module in a new workbook (goto Insert-->Module and paste the code in the module window):

<font face=tahoma><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> Restore()
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> cb <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> CommandBar
        <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Restore all Command Bars</SPAN>
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Each</SPAN> cb <SPAN style="color:#00007F">In</SPAN> Application.CommandBars
            cb.Enabled = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN>
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> cb
<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

Then goto Tools-->Macro-->Macros-->Select "Restore" from the list and hit Run. (Macros will need to be enabled - if you have a Virus Scan program running you can goto Tools-->Macro-->Security-->Set it to LOW to eliminate the enable messages in the future, but only if you have a VS program!)

If that doesn't work, then there might be other issues.

Smitty

Upvote 0
Smitty,

No go....thats for the effort, I am going to try and uninstall and reinstall entire program and see if that works....just have to wait till I have time later this week. I will keep you posted.

Thanks again

Upvote 0
Is there workbook protection? How about any Workbook_Open evetns running?

Upvote 0
firefytr said:
Is there workbook protection? How about any Workbook_Open evetns running?

I am sorry, I am confused on what your asking. I really do not have much experience with VB. I know that the worksheet protection menu item is greyout, so I can not even access that. Is there a way round it using VB?

The other weir thing, is that all of my right click options are available to me when it comes to copying and pasting entire rows, although not through the menu's. But I still do not have the right click options when it come to indivdual cells.

I just dont know

Upvote 0
When you open an affected workbook, can you go to the VB Editor and open each module and object that you see listed in the Project Explorer (on the left). You're looking for any code that could be causing this. That's what Zack was getting at asking about Open events.

Did anything in particular lead up to this? Or did it just start? Anyone in your office with any VBA knowhow (because it's pretty peculiar for something like this to start by itself)?

Smitty

Upvote 0
I can not think of anything that lead up to this I keep wondering what i Loaded on, It was working fine on Friday and then on Monday this happend. The only thing I can think of is Our office uses a program called Engagement Manager that allows us to organize our client engagements (word docs, excell docs, adobe doc and so forth) almost like an electronic binder system keeps all the related files in one place. I did open up a document on Monday through our engagement manager and thats when things started going goofy. But I we have worked with the program for 2 years and never had a problem. But it makes me think.

When I open up MVB under the VBA project window(left side) I have ;
AcrobatPDFMaker (PDFMaker.xda) - but this is password protected
Ewpe2 (Espe2.xda) - also password protected
VBAProject - which is the excel sheets I have open
WPESWrapper (PPCWPBI.xla) - It has Microsoft Excel Objects and Modules subfolders.

Thats it and I have no clue what any of this means. Maybe I will call the software vendor for my engagement program to see is they have ever experienced this.

Thanks everyone for your help

Jamie

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonilla0331

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back