Grouping Cells

ExcelBeginner

If you have column A and B. A has titles (ie Monday, Tuesday, . . .) and B has lines of data associated with the column label in A. How can you filter by the title in column A but display all the associated data in column B? I have about 15 rows in B associated with each name in column A but can not get the filter to display more than one column. I would be estatic if anyone could solve this. I have read the Excel help topics ten times (literally) to no avail.

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
If I understand you right, filtering will not work on your list. You have to "monday" for example, in every line in column A. To get around this, insert a new column A. In A1 put your title. In A2 put the formula
=IF(ISBLANK(B2),A1,B2)
and copy it down to the end of your list.
No filter by your new column A.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
What I mean is that when I have colums as listed below, I need to be able to filter using the data in the first column (the letters) but show all the data assocaited with it when I filter. Right now, if I filter for A, I only see numbers 1-4. I need to find a way to see 1-12. I hope this makes it clearer and thank you for helping.

A 1 2 3 4
8 7 6 5
9 10 11 12

B 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28
29 30 31 32

C 33 34 35 36
This message was edited by ExcelBeginner on 2002-09-18 08:28

Upvote 0
For the filter to work as you wish, you will need to add A's to you blanks. The formula I suggest would accomplish this. This would result in your data looking like this:

A 1 2 3 4
a 8 7 6 5
a 9 10 11 12

B 13 14 15 16
b 17 18 19 20
b 21 22 23 24
b 25 26 27 28
b 29 30 31 32

C 33 34 35 36

Alternatively, your could rearange you data to something like:
A List all numbers on this line
B List all numbers on this line
C List all numbers on this line

To take advantage of tools like filter, subtotal, pivot tables, etc. your data must be in a consistent. Unhappily, this will involved rearranging your data a bit. Stay tuned though, someone may come up with an easier way.

Upvote 0
That works great. I just copied the A into everyspace below it (like you said) and then changed the font to white so it won't be noticed. Thanks for such a great (and simple) solution!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrPJ_Harper

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back