Grouping Controls

Sal Paradise

For radio buttons there's a handy-dandy 'GroupName' feature that lets you diddle a whole bunch of controls at once according to group name. In the same vein, you can group non-radio button controls using frames or pages as well. However, if you don't want to use radio buttons or frames or pages, is there any way to group controls together?

Basically, I will be creating hundreds of controls, and if my only way of filtering items is according to control name, then I will have a headache with naming. If I can assign a bunch of controls to a group, it would be a huge help (and save me the tedium of naming everything right). Any suggestions?

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Not something I know much about myself I have to confess but it sounds as though you may want to think along the lines of Class Modules ... have a read of this and see if it helps any: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/Classes.aspx

Rory(a) has posted a few threads on class modules to handle controls of a given type... if you run a search with rorya as OP and Control Collection (along those lines) you may find something to help you out.

If nothing else someone else who does know about Class Modules and Collections etc may be able to help out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I already have class modules, but that isn't exactly what I was looking for. Specifically, I wanted to group a bunch of controls together that I could enable/disable as a group instead of individually. I just ended up tossing them in a frame and making the frame with no border/label so it pretends it's not really there but I can still manipulate it.

Class Modules allow you to alter the behavior of a certain type of control which is especially useful if you're creating dynamic forms. Currently I can hardcode my forms, I just have a lot of controls, so I wanted to simplify things. The invisible frame works, but isn't ideal (more coding). C'est la vie, I suppose.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back