Grouping creating a mega-group - not separate distinct groups?

missing string

Board Regular
Hi there,

So I want to create 5 distinct groups from columns H-AI:

H-L
M-S
T-X
Y-AD
AE-AI

So I create my first group, H-L. However, when I try to create my second group, M-S, it just combines to the two into one big group. I don't ever recall it working this way, could have sworn you could create groups next to each other. I could hack it a bit by inserting a barely visible (or even hidden) column in between each group, but that's not an elegant solution in my opinion. Any fix to this, or has it always been this way and I'm losing my mind?

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
This happens... Depending if the grouping needs to open to the left or right (right is the default) you need to remember not to select the first column/last column of the group you want to create. Then you'll end up with sub-groups.
Select H-K, apply grouping. It will "include" column L.
1586510471822.png

Upvote 0
I don't ever recall it working this way,
I believe that it did. After all, if you group H:L, where does the group expand/collapse icon (+/-) appear? It appears above column M. It needs to do that since if you collapse the group so that H:L are hidden, you still need to be able to see the expand icon (+) to get those columns to re-appear. Hence column M needs to remain visible. Since column M needs to remain visible it cannot be pert of the next (separate) group otherwise hiding that second group would also hide column M and therefore also hide the expand icon for the first group.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tish101

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back