Grouping data in pivot table - only in one pivot and not all of pivot of the sheet

BarbaraRufino

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Dear all,
Apologies if this is a basic question. I have several pivot tables based on the same data list. In some of the pivots I have dates in the "row area". I wanted to group by month in one pivot and by week in other pivot. The thing is when i choose to group by month, all the pivots in the the file update for month grouping. When I choose week grouping, all pivots assume weekly grouping. How can I apply different date group criteria in different pivots?
Thank you in advance.
Best regards

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Hi, that's a classic one. Grouping happens on pivot cache* level, not the pivot itself.
You can force a new cache by invoking the shortcut ALT + D + P and select the option to create a new cache. The exact wording escapes me right know, but it should be obvious what to click.
Then do the grouping.
Downside, since this multiplies the caches, so you can't share slicers and the workbook will bloat in size. I therefore prefer to add columns in my raw data that contains all time dimensions that I need (or I shift to powerPivot and use a calendar table).

*Cache is like the optimized copy of the raw data in memory.

EDIT: can't you make the grouping on both levels (months and weeks (? I don't see that option though)) then select in the row label one or the other grouping?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As an example I did it with months and quarters. Not sure how you manage to do the week grouping? I hope not manually :oops:
1588953178726.png

Upvote 0
Hi, that's a classic one. Grouping happens on pivot cache* level, not the pivot itself.
You can force a new cache by invoking the shortcut ALT + D + P and select the option to create a new cache. The exact wording escapes me right know, but it should be obvious what to click.
Then do the grouping.
Downside, since this multiplies the caches, so you can't share slicers and the workbook will bloat in size. I therefore prefer to add columns in my raw data that contains all time dimensions that I need (or I shift to powerPivot and use a calendar table).

*Cache is like the optimized copy of the raw data in memory.

EDIT: can't you make the grouping on both levels (months and weeks (? I don't see that option though)) then select in the row label one or the other grouping?
Thank you very much!

Upvote 0
That's not really weeks then, that kinda fooled me a bit :)

Upvote 0
That's not really weeks then, that kinda fooled me a bit :)
Instead of changing the Cache options I just added a week column on the raw data and my problem is solved! Thank you very much for your kind assistance.

Upvote 0
What I would do too. No worries. Take Care.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AKSMITH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back