Growing VBA knowledge

chopper_jc

Hi All,

I have been VBA’ing for a few years now and although I can confidently approach most business problems, I still feel like im lacking the basics.

E.g. best approach methods, how to store modules, what methods run quicker than others etc.

Can anyone suggest any sources of information?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Hi

This subject comes up occasionally here at MrExcel. If you search the Excel forum and/or the Lounge you will find a few threads relating to speed etc. Nate Oliver and Tushar Mehta have some interesting opinions on this subject.

Rather than micro-managing aspects of your code to get the most speed gains, often the largest gains can be achieved by looking at what it is you are trying to achieve. By focusing on the desired outputs you should be able to accurately describe your inputs and from there design the most expedient process to get from one position to the other. This is where most gains are made.

But if you want to get into specifics about micro-managing your code, one area that often causes problems is string handling. There are some useful tips about string handling here but as I mentioned earlier there's no point optimising a routine that is either a) doing the wrong thing or b) that is not needed. But it is still important, IMHO, to learn good techniques to avoid writing unnecessarily slow code!

Just my opinion....
Andrew

Upvote 0
Thanks I will look up the threads and I will refer to the link on detail

what is the deal with MVP, is this a route worth exploring, in your opinion?

JC

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbind kumar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back