Guidance needed on starting my first 'table'

OneLooseCrank

Hi all,
I've not used tables yet but I think they will help me to add some new features and functionality to my current workbook. I would like to represent and pull out values in what will be a 'three dimensional' table. Column headers will be 'Assessment Objectives', rows will be 'Strands' within each AO, and behind each strand will be a 'weighting' to be applied to each strand (which will have to be represented as a column beside the strand.
First question - can I call up through data validation just the headers of a table?
Second - can I use data validation to pull up the strands beneath each AO so as to have a dependent drop down list?
Third - can I use lookups, match, or another function to find the weighting applied to each Strand within each AO?
Any guidance on research I can read up on or advice presented here would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
OLC

Addition - I've noticed whilst experimenting that merged column headers which cover both the Strand and Weighting are unmerged and renamed. So I've either fallen at the first hurdle or I'm not even on the right track and field event...

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mbone Mathonsi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back