Handling borders in Conditional Formatting

sparky2205

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi folks,
my query is in relation to what I call the "fuzzy" border when using conditional formatting.
1617962078314.png

The image above is what you get if you create a CF rule on a brand new spreadsheet. The cell this applies to has no borders applied.
If I click on the "fuzzy" border to the left it applies whatever border style is currently selected.
If I click on the applied border it removes the applied border and leaves it blank i.e. no border. It does not restore the "fuzzy" border.
My assumption is that this "fuzzy" border represents whatever border is currently on the target cell.
This is very useful. If I want to put a blue border on all sides of a cell except the left side I would use:
1617962608376.png

This will put the blue border on the three sides I want while leaving the left border unaffected.
If I accidentally click on the left border it will add the blue border, which I don't want. If I click on it again it will remove the left border completely, which I also don't want.
Currently when this happens the only way I can reinstate that "fuzzy" border is to delete that rule and start again.

My questions:
Is my understanding of what this "fuzzy" border represents actually correct?
Is there any way of reinstating the "fuzzy" border in an existing CF rule if I accidentally remove it?

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Your interpretation of the fuzzy border is correct. When formatting borders in the worksheet (not in a CF rule), the fuzzy border means "not all cells in the current selection have the same border style on this side." When all selected cells do have the same border style, then it shows that style. In a worksheet, if you replace the fuzzy border by accident the only way to restore it is to cancel the change.

In a CF rule, the borders are always fuzzy to start with. If you are building a CF rule and accidentally replace the fuzzy border, there is no way to make it fuzzy again except with the Clear button and start your borders all over. If you save the rule, then the only thing you can do it Undo or delete the rule, and then build the rule again.

Upvote 0
Solution
Thanks 6StringJazzer,
not the answer I was hoping for but the one I was expecting.
Have a good weekend.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back