Hange last characters in multiple words in a cell

frankT68

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi!

I would like to know how can I change the last character (or add or delete a character) in each word, when there are 2 or more words in a cell?

For example:

How is written
How I would like to be written
whit horswhite horse
white agentwhitening agents

<tbody>
</tbody>

I think it would be easier using a formula, but I kinda do not know how to write it correctly.
So I would very much appreciate your help.

Frank

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
But how do we know what is to be appended in each case? In one of your examples it is "e", in the other it is "ning" - how can we possibly know what you wish to append?

Regards

Upvote 0
Re: Change last characters in multiple words in a cell

But how do we know what is to be appended in each case? In one of your examples it is "e", in the other it is "ning" - how can we possibly know what you wish to append?

Regards

Well, I'll try to explain better, even though my English is a bit rusty.:(
As I said before, I'd like to know how to change the last character(s) (or add or delete a character) in each word, when there are 2 or more words in a cell. Of course, this change or replacement should be based on certain rules, such as (I apologize, but I'll have to write all the examples in my language):
  • if any words in a cell ends with "ev", it should be changed so that it ends with "evega" (for example natrijev > natrijevega)
  • if any words in a cell ends with "id", it should be changed so that it ends with "ida" (for example klorid > klorida)
  • if any words in a cell ends with "na", it should be changed so that it ends with "ne" (for example kislina > kisline)
  • and so on....

So if I have "natrijev klorid" written in a cell it should be changed to "natrijevega klorida" or "acetilsalicilna kislina" should be changed to "acetilsalicilne kisline" or "natrijev metamizolat monohidrat" should be changed to "natrijevega metamizolata monohidrata".

I hope I managed to explain better what I would like to do.

Regards

Upvote 0

• and so on....

But this "and so on..." is precisely the problem. How many rules are there in total?

Before even attempting any solution, a definitive list of all such rules would be required: Excel doesn't understand "and so on"!

Regards

Upvote 0

I'm perfectly well aware that
Excel doesn't understand "and so on"!

Unfortunately, I have a table with about 20,000 records, so I find it kinda impossible to determine all the rules precisely. I did not prepare this table which is, on top of all, very inconsistent (eg, incorrect word order), I just have to work with it.
I would be very happy if I could get advice to start with for cases which I have have already mentioned. This could be a good basis to build on.

Regards

Upvote 0

For all those who are interested in the solution of this problem - the answer can be found here and here.

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back