Hanging, Not Responding

PatP3005

I'm sure you've seen this subject before but I am pulling out my hair. Excel is getting worse and worse at hanging while I'm using it. I'm using Office 365 with a Windows 10 PC, stand-alone. I'm also using OneDrive and just a hunch that it is playing a part in what's going on. BUT it will also hang when I'm working on a file that's only on my hard drive, just not as often.

Specifically, here is what it is doing. I'm working on a file (not just one specific file, any xlsx file). I enter data and go to another cell to enter more data. Excel is frozen at this point and won't accept any mouse click or key entry. The bar at the top of the screen says the file name followed by ...saving. And it stays ...saving for five minutes (approx). After it un-freezes, I enter another cell, then same thing. It's becoming impossible to get any work done.

I've tried all of the methods suggested here: (https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...-working-37e7d3c9-9e84-40bf-a805-4ca6853a1ff4). The one where you safe boot is hard to tell because it isn't a constant problem. How long am I supposed to work with a limited computer while I test their problem out. (sorry I am SO frustrated)

I don't know what else to try. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or questions. I appreciate any help available. Thanks.

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
"I enter data and go to another cell to enter more data. Excel is frozen at this point and won't accept any mouse click or key entry. The bar at the top of the screen says the file name followed by ...saving"

So you're saying as you enter data and simply move the cursor to another cell it AUTOMATICALLY SAVES THE FILE ???
Sounds like a VBA macro at work based on changes to the spreadsheet in which case the file extension would be .xlsm and not.xlsx.

Upvote 0
Go to file > Options > Save > Is "Autosave" checked?

Upvote 0
Yes, it is automatically saving the file. I thought that was because it is located in OneDrive though. There are no macros in the workbook.

Upvote 0
Sorry about that last post, newbie here.

SpecialK-99 yes it does auto-save but I thought that was due to being in OneDrive. There aren't any macros in the workbook.

Fluff - yes "AutoSave OneDrive and SharePoint Online files by default on Excel" is checked. And I do want it to AutoSave, just not after EVERY entry.

Upvote 0
If you uncheck that, does the problem go away?

Upvote 0
I'm not sure. I can't remember if I've tried that or not. I know there are options with OneDrive about when and how it saves (and auto-saves) files. I hadn't thought to look there but I will. Thanks for the 'nudge'.

Upvote 0
I'm looking at OneDrive's settings (I do realize this is an Excel board) and there is an option "Files On-Demand". This gives you the option to download files to your computer as you use them, instead of keeping everything on the hard drive. I used to have it unchecked but it's active now. Without the box checked I can't see if someone else has edited the file. I'm going to uncheck that for the day thought and see if it makes a difference. I'll check back after my experiment.

Upvote 0
Look at the top-left corner of the Excel window, there should be a switch there which you can pull to turn automatic saving to OneDrive on or off for the file in question. If the switch is disabled your file isn't in a location that supports this feature, but I expect yours should be available. TUrn off and check if the behaviour is fixed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Last post I left I was leaving to do an experiment. I changed the settings on OneDrive to deselect the Files on-Demand feature. I did that last Thursday and have been using Excel and OneDrive together that way since. It's now late Monday and my file just hung. So, that is better, but not fixed. The file that hung is brand new, created about 10 minutes before it hung. That eliminates the possibility of it being corrupted by being handed back and forth among users as Microsoft suggests in their article. The workbook has one sheet. There are no macros. There aren't even any formulas.

I do have the AutoSave switch available to toggle on and off in the Excel file. Because it is saved in OneDrive I have it toggled on. Because the file just hung again, I'm going to turn it off. This may solve the hanging issue, but it doesn't fix the real problem. I want the AutoSave feature to be able to be left on. I want to continue to keep files in OneDrive while I work on them.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iparraguirre89

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back