Have both Excel 2003/2007.. how to open all files in 2007 by default?

Hello, fellow Excel nerd here experiencing an issue I can't quite get around.

I use Excel 2007 on my workstation at my job pretty extensively, it also has 2003 installed on it. Never had any issues with either. My xls files always used to open with 2007 by default which is what I preferred, but lately they have been opening in 2003. I tried to map the file extensions (file types) to open with the 2007 but no dice unless I already have 2007 open.

Any ideas how I can make xls files open in 2007 by default again?

My apologies if the answer is already posted somewhere, I tried searching but to no avail. Cheers!

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Hello, fellow Excel nerd here experiencing an issue I can't quite get around.

I use Excel 2007 on my workstation at my job pretty extensively, it also has 2003 installed on it. Never had any issues with either. My xls files always used to open with 2007 by default which is what I preferred, but lately they have been opening in 2003. I tried to map the file extensions (file types) to open with the 2007 but no dice unless I already have 2007 open.

Any ideas how I can make xls files open in 2007 by default again?

My apologies if the answer is already posted somewhere, I tried searching but to no avail. Cheers!

I am experiencing this exact problem. Everything was perfect (all files opened in 2007) for a solid year. Suddenly the other day (after some MS updates and a mandatory Restart) ALL, even 2007 XLSX, files are opening in 2003.

Any help?

Upvote 0
Try doing a repair (via the Control Panel or the Office Diagnostics in Excel 2007), which should hopefully reset it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back