Having a problem matching columns

RVD1234

I used a few split text functions, (aka: right, left, find) and split the text into what I finally wanted. Now I want the new column of text to equal another column and only some of the text is matching up. For example, it kind of looks like this:

First Column Split Column Abbr Abbr Match Result
singled to shortstop (2-2) singled to shortstop S6 singled to shortstop S6
flied out to cf (1-0) flied out to cf FO8 flied out to cf blank

So basically, whenever the split column equals the abbr match column, I want the result column to equal the abbr column. My issue is that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't and there doesn't seem to be a distinction as to why. I've seen if one cell equals another one, and the same thing happens, sometimes they're equal, sometimes they're not. I hope you can help and if I wasn't clear, I can try to explain another way. Thanks!

RVD1234

Because my original post didn't lay out like I wanted it to, this is what I'm working with. For example, A29 should equal C5. If it did, it would put B29 into D5. However, since Excel does not recognize that A29=C5, it doesn't work. However, it sees that C19 is equal to A10 so B10=D19.

mrerer

Not quite enough here to be sure, but...
Is there a VLookup in Column D to return your match code? If so, some results are not returning due to not being exact matches; try using the trim function to match lookup words by eliminated spaces, blanks, etc:
=VLOOKUP(TRIM(C2),$A$1:$B$100,2,FALSE)

RVD1234

So I used a VLookup in Column D (=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(C2,A:B, 2, 0), "")). I used the Trim (actually, I just put the trim into my original equation (=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(TRIM(C5),A:B, 2, 0), "")) and it gave me the values that I was missing but took away everything else I had before. So if there's a way to put the two together, we're in business

mrerer

Yeah, you could literally combine them:
=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(C2,A:B,2,0),IFERROR(VLOOKUP(TRIM(C5),A:B, 2, 0), ""))

Also, sounds like you could Trim your Column A, then base the Lookup off that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goldi paul

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics

• populate from drop list with multiple tables
    Hi All, i have a drop list that displays data, what i want is when i select one of those from the list to populate text from different tables on...
  • Find list of words from sheet2 in sheet1 before a comma and extract text vba
    Hi Friends, Trying to find the solution on my task. But did not find suitable one to the need. Here is my query and sample file with details...
  • Dynamic Formula entry - VBA code sought
    Hello, really hope one of you experts can help with this - i've spent hours on this and getting no-where. .I have a set of data (more rows than...
  • Listbox Header
    Have a named range called "AccidentsHeader" Within my code I have: [CODE]Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() ListBox1.RowSource =...
  • Complex Heat Map using conditional formatting
    Good day excel world. I have a concern. Below link have a list of countries that carries each country unique data. [URL...
  • Conditional formatting
    Hi good morning, hope you can help me please, I have cells P4:P54 and if this cell is equal to 1 then i want row O to say "Fully Utilised" and to...