Having brain fade, need help with formula to calculate how many times a cells value needs to be multiplied to equal another cell value

bc90803

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello, I am trying to create a spreadsheet for Stock trading and determining Risk vs Reward and how many times a value would need to be multiplied to equal another value, but am having a total brain fade on how to figure out the formula for this. Can you please help me with what I am sure is a super easy formula.

In essence, I would like to know that if I sustained a string of losses, how many "wins" of a pre determined value would one need to achieve in order to equal or better the losses.

Example: Trading 3 contracts and Risking a total of $311.10 for all 3 contracts. I have 3 different Profit targets set up for various profit amounts. T1=200, T2=400, T3=750. If I were to Lose 4 times in a row, I am trying to determine with a formula, how many T1 targets of 200 would I need to get back to break even? How many T2 targets would I need to hit to get to break even. How many T3 targets to get to break even.

I have attached a screencast link of a screenshot of the spreadsheet and some notations. Not sure if I can upload an excel file yet (very new here ) :)

2020-05-16_1937

Thanks for any suggestions,

Brian

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
Hi BC90803,

I must be missing something because isn't it just Losses/Target?

So if my T1 hit gives 200 and I'm currently at Losses of 600 then I need 600/200=3 hits.

Upvote 0
Hi BC90803,

I must be missing something because isn't it just Losses/Target?

So if my T1 hit gives 200 and I'm currently at Losses of 600 then I need 600/200=3 hits.

Yes you are right .. but I think I was missing something and you helped me figure it out ... I think. THANKS!! I ended up using an ABS in the formula to get around the negative numbers i had showing in the "Losses."

Here is a screenshot of how it worked out .. and I will use your example of ..... "So if my T1 hit gives 200 and I'm currently at Losses of 600 then I need 600/200=3 hits."

Risk-Reward-Stops-Targets-Recovery

Thanks for replying and the suggestion.

bc

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back