Having palpitations here! Office 365 Vanishing Window. Need to get VAT submitted by midnight

Rhothgar

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

I've got 3 spreadsheets open and was working on a side by side with 2 of the spreadsheets.

One of the spreadsheets is a 'template' (actually it's the last quarter's VAT) and it has all the formatting I need to import into Sage as a CSV once I've completed filling it in and saving it out as a CSV.

I've been merrily right-clicking and selecting Hide all morning (and yesterday) and it's right there in the context menu. Problem is, now it's just vanished.

I'm not that familiar with ribbons so I find Hide under View > Window > Hide, I click it and one of the spreadsheets simply vanishes. It's in One Drive but when I click it, it will not open.

As I am working through the bank transactions, I am using Find and then marking with a Fill to show I've entered it so I really need to find this file else it's back to Square One.

EDIT
Can One Drive disconnect or go down? I am cautious of these cloud based auto-saves. The spreadsheet is not in document recovery.

I have just closed Excel down and it asked me if I wanted to save the spreadsheet that's missing so it was floating around somewhere. I saved it but no luck.

It says it was saved to Documents 3 minutes ago. I clicked on the cloud icon on bottom right of Windows 10 and found it in Documents, Excel opens but just as a grey background. Is it possible to hide a spreadsheet from view somehow in Excel? I fear this is what may have happened and I have no idea how to retrieve it or unhide it.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
PANIC OVER!

I hide the workbook!

It still no clearer on why Hide has vanished from the context menu though.

Upvote 0
and the moral of this story is ...
avoid palpitations by getting VAT submitted earlier in future ;)
This is so true but sadly it's in my nature to procrastinate!!! I truly wish it wasn't.

Upvote 0
The Hide on the context menu is still missing.

I think it is caused by the side by side comparison even if you maximise the window you want to apply Hide to, it still won't appear.

Minor irritation.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guest1337

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back