Headers & Footers

Mr D

How can I print in portrait, but show the headers & footers in landscape?

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
Excel provides no way to do this. One workaround is to assess the page breaks and between each pair of page breaks paste a suitably sized picture of the side header/footer you want on the left and right sides respectively of the area to print - of course you'll need to include these 'margins' in the print area.

Upvote 0
You mean to say that the headers/footers are to be printed only when printing in landscape mode; if portrait mode is selected you don't want headers/footers?

If that is the case, "some" code in Workbook_BeforePrint could do it.

Upvote 0
I am producing a reporting pack which is predominantly in landscape. However, one or two pages are in portrait, but I need the footers to be in the same place as the other sheets, so the user can scan through the bottom corner of all the pages to see their content, irrespective of whether the page is landscape or portrait orientated. I thought of transposing my report through 90 degrees, but was hoping for an easier solution!

Regards,
Mr D

Upvote 0
Oh, now I understand....
Mala Prabhu is most likely correct, but this is a challenge that is easier said than done. I am captivated by such challenges.

Much easier to say, in truth.

I must complement you on the effort to make things easy for the 'customers' of your work. I am impressed. Good Job.

Here is an idea. It's a style of "Work Hard", not "Work Smart". Sometimes, working hard is smarter than working smart.

Here it is.

Print some blank landscapes; just the footer/header goodies will be printed. You may need to fool Excel into printing it by adding something to the page. Maybe a period, printed faintly.

When you print your Portrait pages, use the pre-printed stock.

You know how often you need to do this; perhaps a macro to print the 'regular' pages, then prompt user to load the pre-printed paper stock is in order.

My solution isn't exactly 'smart' but I would claim it's 'elegant' :)
This message was edited by stevebausch on 2002-10-10 03:31

Upvote 0
Actually, there is no reason why the page can't be formatted sideways.

1. Create your page as a 'regular' page. No need to get a bent in your neck.

2. Start with a second, blank sheet.
3. With that blank sheet, Select All, and format as follows:
Orientation as 90 degrees anti-clockwise.
Column width (as pixels) 125% of desired font height (in pixels)
4. Copy your 'regular' page. Make note of columns and rows.
5. If you have 12 columns, move 12 rows down, and select that single row, as many columns wide as 'regular' rows height (transpose the columns and rows dimensions).
6. Right-click upon the selection, Paste Special - Transpose. (Am not sure about Transpose......)

7. How does it look?
This message was edited by stevebausch on 2002-10-10 20:48

Upvote 0
Sideways.bmp

Upvote 0
A useful way to accomplish printing the headers/footers in one page orientation and the body in another is to create a report and then have sections of it transferred to the output report by way of the camera tool. If you look to customise one of the menu options and then add in the Camera tool from the Tools menu where you want it to appear.

Highlight the data you want to drop into a new sheet, click the camera tool once setup and then click where you want it to appear and presto!

Good luck!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AtariBaby

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back