Heavy Excel file freezes Excel every so often at regular intervals

CMR_Steve

Hoping someone can offer some advice...

I have an excel file that handles a huge amount of data via the Power Query Editor and puts it into a series of pivot tables. I use power query because there is too much information for one Excel data sheet to handle, so i have multiple excel sheets that Power Query merges together and carries out a series of lookups to pull it all together.

The file works fine when you first use it (apart from it taking quite a while to load after you select a pivot table filter for the first time - but that's usual with heavy pivot tables). Then after a while it freezes up the whole Excel program every so often as if its processing / loading something (spinning cursor icon). It does this same thing every so often at fairly regular intervals, often lasting a few minutes. Autosave is turned off so its not that getting in the way. It gets annoying because its useful to have the 'problematic' file open while I'm working on other excel sheets (for reference / data etc). While I'm working on another excel document or sharing screen with colleagues Excel is working fine and then it freezes up for a few minutes

I haven't ever had this problem before with a file. The file contains sensitive information so i cant share the file itself. Has anyone had a similar problem that you have managed to solve?

Many Thanks for the help

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
denissimo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back