helicopter flight path planner help

pantsmonkey

Board Regular
Hey folks my boss is currently getting his chopper pilots ticket and he is required to complete flight calculations for each flight he does. The information on these things is fairly standard but some issues have arisen with the use of degrees in the calculations.

In column H he has True North heading in degrees (up to 360) and in column I he has the magnetic north headings which in Australia are 12 degrees less than than True North.

I am trying to work out a couple of issues.

Firstly the degrees for his flight plans need to be displayed in 3 digit format so if the heading is 096 deg it needs to display the 096. This means formatting column I as text which doesn't allow for formulas :(

The second issue is I can simply have column I = column H - 12 but if the degrees are under 12, it needs to if H<011 then I = H+360-12 else H - 12 once again this column needs to display a leading 0 if required. Without decimal points if possible.

Is this at all possible guys.

Many thanks for your time

Cheers

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Firstly the degrees for his flight plans need to be displayed in 3 digit format so if the heading is 096 deg it needs to display the 096. This means formatting column I as text which doesn't allow for formulas :(

Format Cell -> Custom -> Type: 000

The second issue is I can simply have column I = column H - 12 but if the degrees are under 12, it needs to if H<011 then I = H+360-12 else H - 12 once again this column needs to display a leading 0 if required. Without decimal points if possible.

formula in I1 => =IF(H1<11,H1+360-12,H1-12)

Hope this helps

Upvote 0
HSK your a STAR! Cheers mate I had the formula worked out after a bit of tinkering had to change it to <13 because 012 deg mins 12 is 360 but the Custom format 000 was very useful many thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattDRT

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back