Help a Excel challenged person

pkstep

Hi. I am trying to build a drop down menu using excel to save myself a few key strokes. I know how to create the list so long as I put the list (choices for the drop down) on the same worksheet. I have seen other Excel sheets with drop down list that had the data on another spread sheet. For instance when you open a brand new fresh excel spreadsheet you have sheet 1, sheet 2, and sheet 3 along the bottom. The spreadsheet I have seen has the actual work are viewed on sheet 1 and the choices for the drop down menu on sheet 2. Can anyone tell me how to direct the drop down box to pull from another sheet?

Also if I want to create a list of dates starting with 1/1/2006 and then the next one be 7 days later what would I type and drag down to create a list of dates in 7 day increments.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
The secret is to use a Named Range. Name the source range and then in the data validation dialog, enter this name in the source field.

Second Question.

If your first date is in A2. In A3 enter

=A2+7

Drag down as needed

lenze

Upvote 0
The secret is to use a Named Range. Name the source range and then in the data validation dialog, enter this name in the source field.

Second Question.

If your first date is in A2. In A3 enter

=A2+7

Drag down as needed
I understand (now) the Named Range theory but still if I name the range Apple, how will I connect sheet 1 with sheet 2? What command or typed statement connect them? Do I just type in Apple on sheet 1 and it will automatically go to the range list on sheet 2?

I saw your response to the date and said "I tried that and instead of 7 days it gave me 7 months ahead." I try it again and your right. :LOL:

Excel messing with my head

Upvote 0
Hey pkstep,
When setting up your drop down list in your first worksheet your will have the option of entering the input range. Type Apple (or whatever your named range is) into this field. Select how many lines you want to display at a time and click OK. :)

Upvote 0
Actually, you don't need a formula. If you type in the first 2 dates and then select them both, when you data down, Excel will figure out what you want.

lenze

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
screechyboy79

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back