Help a Newbie copy from one file to another

lunchbox3

Hey everyone - I'm trying to teach myself VB while I go , but I figured its time to ask for some help. I'm trying to create a performance evaluation form that automatically copies data to another larger form. Specifically, I have one cell into which I enter the project for which the employee was reviewed. I would like the information from that cell (project number) to be automatically written to the overall spreadsheet that charts how many times in a month the employee has been reviewed, and what project it was. I am currently storing the project number as a variable, and I can get the part where I have it written to a cell. But I need help with code that will search for todays date in the 3rd row, and then also search for the employee ID# in the first column. Then where those two intersect, plant the project number. This is just a first first draft of what I have:

Code:
Sub test()
Dim sProject As String
Dim sID As Value
    sID = Range("B4").Value
    sProject = Range("B2").Value

Workbooks.Open Filename:="\\Dkurzweil-xp\shared documents\Monitoring Spreadsheets\2007\08-2007 - August.xls"

End Sub
Thanks!

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Here we go

Thanks Stan. Here is the evaluation sheet header, from which I need to copy the data in cell B2
electronicmonitoringtemplate.xls
ABCDEFGHIJKL
1Project Name:WB&A Market Research Monitoring EvaluationInterviewer Initials:_____________
2Project Number:085Date:
3Supervisor:Start Monitoring:
4Interviewer:End Monitoring:
Sheet1

And here is the sheet I want to paste into.
08-2007 - August.xls
ABCDEFGH
1Spreadsheet Key
2WEEK 1
31-Aug2-Aug3-Aug4-Aug
4ID#F NAMEL NAMEWednesdayThursdayFridaySaturday
65110namename0
75104namename0
85180namename1085c
95201namename1085c
105098namename0
115200namename0
125196namename0
135165namename0
145125namename0
155203namename0
165204namename2095095
175175namename0
Monitor

Yeah basically I can't figure out how to have excel match todays date with the interviewer ID column (I think column A).

Upvote 0
lunchbox3,

These variables:
sID = Range("B4").Value
sProject = Range("B2").Value
do not seem to correspond to what is on the screenshot of Sheet1.

What cell address on Sheet1 corresponds to:
B2 = project code
B? = the person being interviewed?

How does the date in the third row, what column????, correspond to the Week # in the Monitor sheet?

What information from Sheet1, by description and cell address, do you want to copy, and search for in the Monitor sheet?

What date on Sheet1, description and cell address, do you want to search for in the Monitor sheet?

Please display Sheet1 for all the information (that is not confidential) that we need to work in the Monitor sheet.

Have a great day,
Stan

Upvote 0
stan - Thanks for the quick reply. Regarding the first sheet (the monitoring evaluation) in B2 I will enter the project code (the example is 085) and then in B4 I will enter their interviewer ID#. Then I would like those variables to be set and have excel search for the ID# variable, sID, in column A of the larger worksheet and todays date in row 3 (its hard to see in the post, it shows up black on here, you have to select it with the mouse to see the data).

I'm trying to copy the project # from the evaluation sheet to the larger monitoring sheet.

I would like it to search for the current date. The idea being that after people are done evaluating interviewers (which doesn't take more than one day) it can be pasted into the second sheet.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiguekHeka

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back