Help and Advice needed please

fizz

Hello everyone, I'm new here and I could do with some help please.

All i've ever used Excel for is for adding up numbers.

I have a computer test next Friday, 21st Jan. I need to pass this test to be offered an interview (slightly bizarre but that's another story).

The work I have applied for is in a hospital and I imagine that Excel would be used for data base purposes i.e.keeping records of people's details.

Please can you advise which area of Excel I should be looking at and practising on. Thankfully I have Excel on my home pc but there seems so much to learn I'm not sure where to begin and don't have time to learn it all and I don't want to confuse myself.

Any advice would be greatfully received.

Thanks

Fizz

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
I appreciate that this is a fast moving forum and that threads sink very fast. However I really do need some help please so if anyone could give me some advice I'd really appreciate it ;)

Upvote 0
hi fizz,

can you give us an idea as to the type of position you are going for? Is it clerical or as a doctor or nurse...the outcome will probably affect what you would use excel for!

I'm guessing it will be clerical based, and as such, I would look at the basics first...if you've never used Excel before, why not have a go at building some straightforward spreadsheets, maybe list your monthly spend, or list your favourite football team and their estimated values...anything really - it will help you understand how to move around the workbook.

You can then take a look at formatting, changing the colours/fonts etc. You could also have a play with sorting things by value etc...

give us some more info and I'm sure others will chip in with their thoughts!

GOOD LUCK!

Upvote 0
Thanks!! Yes, it's clerical, secretarial work, so I'm guessing it'll be some kind of data base work :)

Upvote 0
with a week to play around, I'm sure that you'll have enough knowledge to pass a test...build something useful (like I suggested above) and then start to play around - come back and ask if you get stuck - there are PLENTY of people here who will help!

Upvote 0
Thank you, I really appreciate all your help :)

I'll be back to let you know how I get on ;)

Fizz

Upvote 0
fizz said:
I imagine that Excel would be used for data base purposes i.e.keeping records of people's details.

Good luck for the interview, but once its over please come back to us and please, please tell me that no hospital is using Excel to keep track of patient details :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back