Help: Auto colour cell based on input in another cell

Sha

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi out there,

i am trying to get the col J (date) to change colour after a certain number of days if cell F (date) is empty. Below are my codes. Could anyone tell me what i am doing wrong. Please do bare with me as i am really new at VBA.

VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

If Target.Cells.Value > 0 Then Exit Sub

Set xRg = Intersect(Range("F1:F3000"), Target)

If xRg Is Nothing Then Exit Sub

If IsNumeric(Target.Value) And Target.Value = "" Then

Call HighlightCells

End If

End Sub

Sub HighlightCells()

Dim dtrg As Range: Set dtrg = Range("J1:J3000")

Dim dtCell As Range

For Each dtCell In dtrg.Cells

If dtCell.Value <> "" And dtCell.Value < Date - 40 Then _

dtCell.Interior.ColorIndex = 3

'End If

Next dtCell

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Could anyone tell me what i am doing wrong.
Has something gone wrong? What is it? Are you getting an error message and if so, what is the error number and error description?
Alternatively, if it's a matter of not getting the expected result, can you please give an example of the expected result and the actual result.

Also, as a separate point, have you considered using conditional formatting? This is the sort of thing it was designed to do.

Upvote 0
Has something gone wrong? What is it? Are you getting an error message and if so, what is the error number and error description?
Alternatively, if it's a matter of not getting the expected result, can you please give an example of the expected result and the actual result.

Also, as a separate point, have you considered using conditional formatting? This is the sort of thing it was designed to do.
HI there,

I have redone the code as below but i get an error message saying "Can't execute code in break mode".
i am trying to highlight any cells in col J if its more than 40 days and if col f is empty.

example: Cell E3 is empty and Cell J3's date is expired by 40 days. Cell J3 is highlighted the affective cell.

VBA Code:
'Cell will be highlighted if more than 40 days from today

Sub HighlightCells()

Dim DisChar As Range
Set DisChar = Range("J1:J3000")

Dim CodeDate As Range
Set CodeDate = Range("F1:F3000")

Dim DisCharCell As Range
Dim CodeDateRange As Range

If DisCharCell.Value <> "" And DisCharCell.Value < Date - 40 And CodeDateRange.Value <> "" Then _

DisCharCell.Interior.ColorIndex = 3

End If

Next dtCell

End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi. So the error message - "Can't execute code in break mode" - occurs when the VB Editor is in break or 'pause' mode. You need to finish or stop whatever process you're running, and try running this again.
1634641986350.png
< Break mode

Upvote 0
Thanks for the explanation. In your previous comment you mentioned about a conditional formatting. it means the conditional formatting function in Excel right, not VBA? Apologies for being a newbs. If it is by VBA would you be able to assist to guide me on how it works?

VBA Code:
Sub HighlightCells()

Dim DisChar As Range
Set DisChar = Range("J1:J3000")

Dim CodeDate As Range
Set CodeDate = Range("F1:F3000")

Dim DisCharCell As Range
Dim CodeDateRange As Range

If DisCharCell.Value <> "" And DisCharCell.Value < Date - 40 And CodeDateRange.Value <> "" Then _

DisCharCell.Interior.ColorIndex = 3

End If

Next dtCell

End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi - I meant something like the following. So according to your original post:
the col J (date) to change colour after a certain number of days if cell F (date) is empty.
  • In this example below, Column F has the date that the report (or whatever) was submitted. If it wasn't submitted, the cell is blank.
  • Column J is the actual due date.
  • So in my example, "a certain number of days" is 7 days from today.
So if the report is overdue by more than a week as of today, then column J is highlighted with conditional formatting. .Look at rows 15 and 16 - in row 15, the due date was 18 October, which was less than a week ago, so the entry isn't highlighted. Whereas in Row 16, the deadline was over a week ago, and so this is highlighted.

Is that the sort of thing you were after?

MrExcel.xlsm
FGHIJ
1Final AssessmentDue Date
207/09/202110/10/2021
302/10/2021
427/09/202110/10/2021
514/10/2021
607/10/202110/10/2021
710/10/2021
809/10/202110/10/2021
910/10/2021
1027/09/202110/10/2021
1104/10/202110/10/2021
1212/10/2021
1320/09/202112/10/2021
1415/10/202118/10/2021
1518/10/2021
1610/10/2021
1727/09/202110/10/2021
Sheet4
Cells with Conditional Formatting
CellConditionCell FormatStop If True
J2:J17Expression=AND(ISBLANK(F2),(TODAY()-7)>J2)textNO

Upvote 0
Solution
HI Dan,

Yes. this was the result i was hoping to get. So this conditional formatting is in VBA?

Upvote 0
Hi Dan,

I have tried using the conditional formatting in Excel but it doesn't seem to highlight the correct cells in col J (discharge date). i have applied the formula to the last col to see the true and false. Those with true should have the dates under discharge date highlighted in red, however, in the image below only 1 of the highlighted cells is correct. Why is that so? Both col F (date coded) and Col J (discharge date) have been formatted to date. Could it be possible its due to the fact that i am using Excel 2013?

formula used if : =AND(ISBLANK($F$F),(Today())-40>$J$J)

image002.png

Upvote 0
Hi Dan,

Do Ignore the past 2 posts. I figured it out! Thank you so much for your help! Really Really appreciate it!

Upvote 0
You're very welcome. We'll done on working it out. For the benefit of anyone else with a similar problem to you, and who need to solve it, could you maybe explain what the solution was? Looking at your screen captures, I'd say that this problem usually occurs when there is a mismatch to between the cell range that you're applying the CF to and the cell range set out in the formula. Is that right?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennimack

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back