Help automating updating columns (find and replace) with macros.

Stacker

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I routinely get files and people here have helped me with automating one component. However I wanna create a macros that allows m to automate the updating of certain worksheets. I am given an excel file with three tabs.

In the first tab i get a lot of hospital data and one of my tasks is to to copy the last column say MG and paste it into the MH. All of the cells in the column follow a certain formula. The top being like so:

=SUM('\\sancifs\Public_Health\Shared\PH Intelligence\Data\PHI_Data_Intelligence_System\1-PHI_DI_SYS_RAW-IMPORT\COVID-19_data\Hospital_reporting\Both Trusts\[270821 HRI.xlsx]Daily sitrep'!$F$8:$F$11)

I have to paste this column into the next and from there ctrl and f and find and replace. So I would find and replace 270821 with 280821 solely in that column.

Is there a way to copy and paste the previous column and then find and replace by incrememnts of 1 day using a macro.

The second and third stuff are fairly quick so I am not bothered

I pasted your formala in Excel and it gave me #REF. This means Excel has excepted the formula and started evaluating it.
Be sure to clear the cell's contents in its entirety before you paste your formula.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
Test Excel.xlsx
ABCD
221/08/202122/08/202123/08/202124/08/2021
3141413=SUM(INDIRECT("'\\sancifs\Public_Health\Shared\PH Intelligence\Data\PHI_Data_Intelligence_System\1-PHI_DI_SYS_RAW-IMPORT\COVID-19_data\Hospital_reporting\Both Trusts\["& TEXT(D$2;"ddmmyy")&" HRI.xlsx]Daily sitrep'!$F$8:$F$11"))
Sample
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A1:D1A1=A2
A3A3=SUM('\\sancifs\Public_Health\Shared\PH Intelligence\Data\PHI_Data_Intelligence_System\1-PHI_DI_SYS_RAW-IMPORT\COVID-19_data\Hospital_reporting\Both Trusts\[210821 HRI.xlsx]Daily sitrep'!$F$8:$F$11)
B3B3=SUM('\\sancifs\Public_Health\Shared\PH Intelligence\Data\PHI_Data_Intelligence_System\1-PHI_DI_SYS_RAW-IMPORT\COVID-19_data\Hospital_reporting\Both Trusts\[220821 HRI.xlsx]Daily sitrep'!$F$8:$F$11)
C3C3=SUM('\\sancifs\Public_Health\Shared\PH Intelligence\Data\PHI_Data_Intelligence_System\1-PHI_DI_SYS_RAW-IMPORT\COVID-19_data\Hospital_reporting\Both Trusts\[230821 HRI.xlsx]Daily sitrep'!$F$8:$F$11)

When i hit enter in D3 it fails.

Upvote 0
It fails since you apparently missed one of my previous posts ....
A closer look tells me, where I have the dates on row 1 and the custom formatting (to match the filename) on row 2, you have it the other way around :eek:
In your formula, D$2 must therefore become D$1.

The TEXT function argues because it doesn't get the format as specified, see the image attached. It expects D2 to be formatted as ddmmyy (but it isn't ... ).
Changing D$2 to D$1 should resolve this issue, since D1 is formatted as specified.

ScreenShot239.jpg

Upvote 0
Like I said it before still produces the same error when i use

=SUM(INDIRECT("'\\sancifs\Public_Health\Shared\PH Intelligence\Data\PHI_Data_Intelligence_System\1-PHI_DI_SYS_RAW-IMPORT\COVID-19_data\Hospital_reporting\Both Trusts\["& TEXT(D$1;"ddmmyy")&" HRI.xlsx]Daily sitrep'!$F$8:$F$11"))

Upvote 0
Is your list separator character the semicolon ; ?
If not, replace it with a comma ,

Upvote 0
Is your list separator character the semicolon ; ?
If not, replace it with a comma ,
Yep! Now that's actually has REF!

=SUM(INDIRECT("'\\sancifs\Public_Health\Shared\PH Intelligence\Data\PHI_Data_Intelligence_System\1-PHI_DI_SYS_RAW-IMPORT\COVID-19_data\Hospital_reporting\Both Trusts\["&TEXT(D$1,"ddmmyy")&" HRI.xlsx]Daily sitrep'!$F$8:$F$11"))

However I am not sure if i am missing a space now.

Upvote 0
However I am not sure if i am missing a space now.
Then you have to open a source workbook involved to see whether the #REF changes into a proper value.

Upvote 0
I think a space or something is missing cos when there is an extra or missing space in the formula using the old method ,it produces the same REF! error. I used your formula to refer to the other file in column C3) the same REF! error is produced .

Test Excel.xlsx
ABCD
221/08/202122/08/202123/08/202124/08/2021
3141413#REF!
5554240821 HRI
6111240821 HRI
Sample
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A1:D1A1=A2
A3A3=SUM('\\sancifs\Public_Health\Shared\PH Intelligence\Data\PHI_Data_Intelligence_System\1-PHI_DI_SYS_RAW-IMPORT\COVID-19_data\Hospital_reporting\Both Trusts\[210821 HRI.xlsx]Daily sitrep'!$F$8:$F$11)
B3B3=SUM('\\sancifs\Public_Health\Shared\PH Intelligence\Data\PHI_Data_Intelligence_System\1-PHI_DI_SYS_RAW-IMPORT\COVID-19_data\Hospital_reporting\Both Trusts\[220821 HRI.xlsx]Daily sitrep'!$F$8:$F$11)
C3C3=SUM('\\sancifs\Public_Health\Shared\PH Intelligence\Data\PHI_Data_Intelligence_System\1-PHI_DI_SYS_RAW-IMPORT\COVID-19_data\Hospital_reporting\Both Trusts\[230821 HRI.xlsx]Daily sitrep'!$F$8:$F$11)
D3D3=SUM(INDIRECT("'\\sancifs\Public_Health\Shared\PH Intelligence\Data\PHI_Data_Intelligence_System\1-PHI_DI_SYS_RAW-IMPORT\COVID-19_data\Hospital_reporting\Both Trusts\["&TEXT(C$1,"ddmmyy")&" HRI.xlsx]Daily sitrep'!$F$8:$F$11"))
A4A4=SUM('\\sancifs\Public_Health\Shared\PH Intelligence\Data\PHI_Data_Intelligence_System\1-PHI_DI_SYS_RAW-IMPORT\COVID-19_data\Hospital_reporting\Both Trusts\[210821 HRI.xlsx]Daily sitrep'!$G$8:$G$11)
B4B4=SUM('\\sancifs\Public_Health\Shared\PH Intelligence\Data\PHI_Data_Intelligence_System\1-PHI_DI_SYS_RAW-IMPORT\COVID-19_data\Hospital_reporting\Both Trusts\[220821 HRI.xlsx]Daily sitrep'!$G$8:$G$11)
C4C4=SUM('\\sancifs\Public_Health\Shared\PH Intelligence\Data\PHI_Data_Intelligence_System\1-PHI_DI_SYS_RAW-IMPORT\COVID-19_data\Hospital_reporting\Both Trusts\[230821 HRI.xlsx]Daily sitrep'!$G$8:$G$11)
A5A5=SUM('\\sancifs\Public_Health\Shared\PH Intelligence\Data\PHI_Data_Intelligence_System\1-PHI_DI_SYS_RAW-IMPORT\COVID-19_data\Hospital_reporting\Both Trusts\[210821 HRI.xlsx]Daily sitrep'!$F$8:$I$8)
B5B5=SUM('\\sancifs\Public_Health\Shared\PH Intelligence\Data\PHI_Data_Intelligence_System\1-PHI_DI_SYS_RAW-IMPORT\COVID-19_data\Hospital_reporting\Both Trusts\[220821 HRI.xlsx]Daily sitrep'!$F$8:$I$8)
C5C5=SUM('\\sancifs\Public_Health\Shared\PH Intelligence\Data\PHI_Data_Intelligence_System\1-PHI_DI_SYS_RAW-IMPORT\COVID-19_data\Hospital_reporting\Both Trusts\[230821 HRI.xlsx]Daily sitrep'!$F$8:$I$8)
D5D5=TEXT(D$1,"ddmmyy")& " HRI"
A6A6='\\sancifs\Public_Health\Shared\PH Intelligence\Data\PHI_Data_Intelligence_System\1-PHI_DI_SYS_RAW-IMPORT\COVID-19_data\Hospital_reporting\Both Trusts\[210821 HRI.xlsx]Daily sitrep'!$F$8
B6B6='\\sancifs\Public_Health\Shared\PH Intelligence\Data\PHI_Data_Intelligence_System\1-PHI_DI_SYS_RAW-IMPORT\COVID-19_data\Hospital_reporting\Both Trusts\[220821 HRI.xlsx]Daily sitrep'!$F$8
C6C6='\\sancifs\Public_Health\Shared\PH Intelligence\Data\PHI_Data_Intelligence_System\1-PHI_DI_SYS_RAW-IMPORT\COVID-19_data\Hospital_reporting\Both Trusts\[230821 HRI.xlsx]Daily sitrep'!$F$8
D6D6=TEXT(D$2,"ddmmyy")& " HRI"

Upvote 0
When the workbook the formula is referring to is closed, you will always get a #REF. The workbook involved must be open in Excel for the formula to be evaluated.

Upvote 0
When the workbook the formula is referring to is closed, you will always get a #REF. The workbook involved must be open in Excel for the formula to be evaluated.

Really? Cos the other workbooks are closed and the data is collected from the workbooks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KB13

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back