Help!: Compare 2 lists and extract only unique values from list 1 without duplicates.

Rgibson

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all, I am stuck trying to create an array formula that will create a dynamic list of names.
I am essentially creating a 3rd dynamic list with an array formula, which draws from List 1 (Working List), and compares to List 2 (Database). I get the items that do not show up in database to populate into List 3, but it extracts ALL of the items, even the duplicates. Can anyone help? Essentially what I am looking to do is like this:

LIST 1 (Working List)LIST 2 (Database)New List (Unique Items, not found in List 2, consolidated without duplicates)
Item AItem AItem AA
Item BItem BItem AB
Item AAItem C
Item CItem D
Item AAItem E
Item AB

Right now, I use a formula to determine the amount of unique items in list 1. It is quite convoluted, so I'm not sure if there is a more simplified way to do this:
=SUM(SUM(COUNTA(Takeoff[Description]),COUNTBLANK(Takeoff[Description]))-SUMPRODUCT(1-ISNUMBER(MATCH(Takeoff[Description],$B$7:$B$7487,0))))

And, for list 3, my array formula is as follows:
{=IF(ROWS(B$7490:B7490)<=C$7488,INDEX(Takeoff[Description],SMALL(IF(ISNA(MATCH(Takeoff[Description],$B$7:$B$7487,0)),ROW(Takeoff[Description])-ROW(TAKEOFF!$E$7)+1),ROWS(B$7490:B7490))),"")} - (((using CSE)))

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I do not want to be using VBA to do this, btw. Strictly trying to do this with an array formula. :)

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Hi and welcome to MrExcel!

Check if this helps you:

Dante Amor
ABC
1LIST 1 (Working List)LIST 2 (Database)New List
2Item AItem AItem AA
3Item BItem BItem AB
4Item AAItem C 
5Item CItem D 
6Item ABItem E 
7Item AA 
Hoja3
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C2:C7C2=IF(COUNTIF($C$1:C1, IFERROR(INDEX($A$1:$A$7,SMALL(IF(NOT(ISNUMBER(MATCH($A$2:$A$7,$B$2:$B$6,0))), ROW($A$2:$A$7)), ROW()-1)),""))=0, IFERROR(INDEX($A$1:$A$7,SMALL(IF(NOT(ISNUMBER(MATCH($A$2:$A$7,$B$2:$B$6,0))), ROW($A$2:$A$7)), ROW()-1)),""),"")
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter array formulas.

Upvote 1
Hi and welcome to MrExcel!

Check if this helps you:

Dante Amor
ABC
1LIST 1 (Working List)LIST 2 (Database)New List
2Item AItem AItem AA
3Item BItem BItem AB
4Item AAItem C 
5Item CItem D 
6Item ABItem E 
7Item AA 
Hoja3
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C2:C7C2=IF(COUNTIF($C$1:C1, IFERROR(INDEX($A$1:$A$7,SMALL(IF(NOT(ISNUMBER(MATCH($A$2:$A$7,$B$2:$B$6,0))), ROW($A$2:$A$7)), ROW()-1)),""))=0, IFERROR(INDEX($A$1:$A$7,SMALL(IF(NOT(ISNUMBER(MATCH($A$2:$A$7,$B$2:$B$6,0))), ROW($A$2:$A$7)), ROW()-1)),""),"")
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter array formulas.
Hi, thank you for the response. It did not work for me. When I adopted it to my spreadsheet, I get an alert telling me it is a circular reference, but it can't tell me where. So, I thought I would create a spreadsheet like the one above, in Columns A,B, and my answer in C exactly as above, and it returns "0" in each cell. I entered the formula, made some adjustments to include all of the cells with data in them, and used CSE. Still "0".
ITEM AITEM A
0​
ITEM BITEM B
0​
ITEM AAITEM C
0​
ITEM CITEM D
0​
ATEM ABITEM E
0​
ITEM AA
0​

Upvote 0
I figured out the solution for my problem! 😅 In case anyone wonders how I fixed it, this ended up being my fix:

=IF(ROWS(B$7490:B7490)>$C$7488,"",INDEX(Takeoff[Description],SMALL(IF(FREQUENCY(IF((Takeoff[Group]="")*(Takeoff[Description]<>""),MATCH(Takeoff[Description],Takeoff[Description],0)),ROW(Takeoff[Description])-ROW(TAKEOFF!$E$7)+1),ROW(Takeoff[Description])-ROW(TAKEOFF!$E$7)+1),ROWS(B$7490:B7490))))

The highlighted and underlined being the breakthrough I had.

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tanurai

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back