Help: Creating Drop-Down Menu to Filter Table by Year

spartrocl

I currently have a task managing spreadsheet that is organized by approaching deadline (upcoming deadlines appear first on the list in order of when they are due).

I want to create a dropdown menu at the top of the spreadsheet with options "2015, 2014, 2013, etc" so that I can easily see deadlines from past years. Additionally it would be helpful to be able to have another dropdown menu for the month "April, May, June, July, etc" so that it could be even more specific.

Does anyone know how to do this? I know I have seen this done on accounting spreadsheets, but I can't figure it out.

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Without seeing your worksheet I'm going for the easy option. You could add a column which cuts out the year from the dates column. If Column A = Date, then =YEAR(A2).

Then simply add a filter on this column.

If this isn't what you're looking for, you may wish to post an example of the worksheet to help visualise what you're after.

Q

Upvote 0
Without seeing your worksheet I'm going for the easy option. You could add a column which cuts out the year from the dates column. If Column A = Date, then =YEAR(A2).

Then simply add a filter on this column.

If this isn't what you're looking for, you may wish to post an example of the worksheet to help visualise what you're after.

Q

Thanks so much for your response! Bellow is a screenshot of my spreadsheet. Basically I want things to move to another worksheet when the date has passed, and I also want to be able to add a filter by date for future reference, so that next year at this time, I could select "2015" and "April" to see what I was applying for the year before.

2n0k969.jpg

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tanurai

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back