Help Creating Form for Entering and Tracking Customer Zip Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

woostermatt

Hi. I own a store in Ohio. Ohio has 1400 zip codes. Every time a customer checks out, we ask for their zip code. We would like, at the end of each day, to enter that data into a spreadsheet that would keep track of those zip codes so that later, at the end of every week, month and year, we could see generate reports that would tell us there we were drawing customers from, geographically, daily, weekly and monthly. ( I suppose I could have a spreadsheet that has all 1,400 zip codes in a column down the left, and the dates sequentially across the top of the spreadsheet on the top, from left to right. But at 1,400 zip codes, it's a lot of scrolling to find each one and enter the number of customers for each zip code, you know?

Her'e our process at the front desk: Every time we get a zip code form a customer, the clerk writes it down in tally form on that day's sheet. I am envisioning a Excel/Access form that our cashier could simply enter data into at the end of each day. The data that is entered into the form would populate the underlying spreadsheet. The form would automatically choose the current day's date by default; the cashier would simply enter the day's tally for each zip code.

For example, the clerk would use a shortcut to start Excel/Access and bring up the form. By default, the day's date would be auto-filled (though the clerk could change it, if needed). The clerk would then begin entering the numbers from the day:

Zipcode

44691: 9
44676: 3
44898: 13

and so forth. That data would all be captured in the appropriate fields in the underlying spreadsheet for that date, and those zip codes. Make sense?

Once this spreadsheet starts filling with data, I can run reports that show me that, say, last week we had 29 customers from 44691, 12, from 44676, 11 from 44898, etc. And I can do the same thing at the end of the month, and the year. And I can do comparisons from month-to-month. And year-to-year.

This doesn't seem like it's a very complicated task. The problem is: I am not good enough at Excel or Access to begin to understand how to design what I am envisioning. Has anyone seen a Template that I could use, or tweak? Anyone have any suggestions on how to go about creating one myself?? Anyone want to make a few bucks and design me one? I hope someone stumbles on this post. I'd love to get this going. Thanks!!

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
I know of no such template and you might not find one because this would be an easy task for Access given the requirements you've outlined. I have seen more complicated ones that give you all the zip codes and contacts you have there, within a given radius of your location, but you're asking for something much simpler. If you want to keep it simple but do it yourself (and do it well) there are things that MS has provided to help a novice which no seasoned db designer would use, such as multi-value and lookup fields in tables. Then there is a good and bad way to name things in your db and good stuff to know about what autonumber fields are/are not.

At this point, I see no need for more than one table with 3 fields: [ID] - autonumber; Tally - long integer; ZipDate - Date ("Date" should NOT be used to name anything in Access). One form to enter data, one report, one query for the form and one for the report would get you started. Additional queries, reports or forms maybe, to support additional features as they're added.

Upvote 0
This thread appears within two forums - I have posted an Excel spreadsheet to the other forum

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks, Micron! I appreciate the tips. Yes, it shouldn't be too hard. It's been years since I used Access, but maybe IO'll give it a try!

Cheers! (And sorry about the solicitation thing. I hadn't caught that in the Rules - my bad!!)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dukenia71

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back