Help - Cross-Sheet References and Changes

elmerg

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hey everyone. I'm kindof a new Excel user. I've used some of the formula within excel itself to do some stuff, but I'm not really all that good. I found out about some functionality that Excel has (or probably has?) and I was hoping I could get some advice or pointers from more experienced people with Excel.

I am attempting to create a workbook that is tracking information for a gaming group. I am trying to do the following:

In a single workbook, titled ‘Character Tracker,’ I have three worksheets at the beginning. Sheet 1 is titled MAIN, Sheet 2 is titled LIST and Sheet 3 is titled MASTER. MAIN will be where all information is put in and referenced from/to. LIST will have a list in the A column of every sheet that is created. MASTER will have a template for individual storage, with cells defined to give data into a print area that is formatted, and prints a character sheet. LIST is easy, no problems there, with manual creation of new tabs. I have all of the stuff working for the MASTER sheet, with getting the print area and formatting working and referencing the data from the cells elsewhere in the MASTER sheet. This wasn’t hard at all, since it didn’t involve really any VBA. The problems I’m having are all having to do with the MAIN sheet.

On MAIN, I need to do the following:
* Create a drop-down box at the top that pulls from the range AllSheets in LIST. If there is not a matching sheet name listed, it will then create a copy of MASTER and name it whatever was entered into the box. This name will then be added to AllSheets in LIST. (IE: I choose BAXTER, and it loads the cells from BAXTER. I type in ANDREW, and it copies MASTER and renames it ANDREW as a new tab/worksheet, and adds ANDREW to AllSheets in LIST).
* If the name exists in the drop-down box, then in cells defined below, pull all the data from the MASTER copy named in AllSheets in LIST. (IE: Choosing BAXTER grabs the information from the BAXTER sheet, putting them in appropriately-defined (or numerically-noted) cells on MAIN).
* Those cells need to be able to have new data (it’s either basic text or numbers from 1 to 5) put into them; this data change then needs to be reflected the appropriate sheet name chosen in the drop-down menu above. (IE: I choose sheet BAXTER, and change the Strength field from 2 to 3 in MAIN. BAXTER then needs to have the Strength field changed from 2 to 3).

Any ideas or advice to get this type of stuff done would be helpful. :

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Can I ask, why do you want to edit data ( have new data for ) for a particular sheet, but do that through another sheet? Why don't you have some kind of navigation system so that you just go to whatever sheet needs to be viewed or changed.

Upvote 0
Because that's just as easily accomplished with me clicking the tabs at the bottom, and I wanted to do something where I didn't have to click through 40 pages of tabs, I could just load the data into a primary sheet from the tabs, change it there and have the changes reflected on the tabs.

It saves some time when I can just use a dropdown box and go from there.

Upvote 0
Er, so why not have a drop-down and then navigate to the chosen sheet that way. Or have a list of sheets with hyperlinks. Or any other way of navigating to the actual sheets instead of clicking through 40 pages of tabs.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back