help designing a sheet.

crusader8463

Hi all, I’m going to try and explain my predicament as simply as possible in hopes to get some help. What I’m doing is all the book work for my father’s business. He does service calls to change tires on tractor trailers. So what I’m taxed with, is to take the bills he has for each service call, input them all into excel for each individual person, then total which bills people have or have not paid him. Simple I’m sure, but I’m a total beginner to excel and for the life of me can’t figure out a template I can use to just keep plugging in the numbers from all these receipts.

What I need the sheet to do:

<!--[if !supportLists]-->1.<!--[endif]-->Rows containing; Costumers name, invoice number, date of service, subtotal, tax, total, and whether or not they have paid yet.
<!--[if !supportLists]-->2.<!--[endif]-->I then need to take that data and group it to see how much each person still owes, which individual bills they have paid, and which individual bills they have yet to pay.
<!--[if !supportLists]-->3.<!--[endif]-->Then take all that data from each separate bill statement, and make an account balance for each person he does work for.

I had already done this for over a year’s worth of work he did. But after all the data was in, for the life of me I couldn’t think of a way to do step 2-3. The problem is that on some jobs he does, the people will pay him upfront, in which case he marks paid on the bill. But other times they will send him a check in the mail 1-3+ months later and some times not for the full amount they owe. Now I have a list of all those checks he receives, but I can’t find a simple way to subtract those checks from what people still owe him.

I need a way to sub-total each customers bills, but still be able to add in payments, or future bills and payments that person may have. Each month he does more work, and sometimes for the same people, so I need to be able to just sit down, look at each bill, and just type in the data I need off it into each person’s separate account.

The only way I could think to do this, is to give each different customer he has their own work sheet. But this makes the file size huge and organizing totals a pain. Not to mention editing the data in individual accounts for future work/payments a pain.

Anyway, any and all help will be much appreciated. I’m really lost as to find a way to do this. I guess a simple way to sum up everything I said above, would be a pivot table that I can add future bills to, and subtract payments from each customer’s total.

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
or better yet would be to use Access. It is perfect for that kind of data

by having it on one worksheet could get ugly as well

Upvote 0
i looked at access. but i literally have no clue how to run it. i know some basic basics of excel so i wanted to use that.

Upvote 0
What does this actually mean/represent?
<!--[if !supportLists]-->1.<!--[endif]-->Rows containing; Costumers name, invoice number, date of service, subtotal, tax, total, and whether or not they have paid yet.
<!--[if !supportLists]-->2.<!--[endif]-->I then need to take that data and group it to see how much each person still owes, which individual bills they have paid, and which individual bills they have yet to pay.
<!--[if !supportLists]-->3.<!--[endif]-->Then take all that data from each separate bill statement, and make an account balance for each person he does work for.

I've read your post a couple of times but it's just not making sense, but that might just be me.:eek:

Upvote 0
ETA: I'm very tempted to remove my entire post because you are being impatient and rude, but for the sake of others who may be interested in doing the same I am leaving it. In the future, do not expect instant responses from others when you are making a non-trivial request that requires someone to essentially do the hard work for you. You haven't even made an attempt at it and yet get surly when people offer suggestions? That is not proper behavior, and I'd guess your father would be appalled at your behavior.

Enter payments on this sheet:
Excel Workbook
ABCDEFG
1Paid?CustomerInvoiceDateSubtotalTaxTotal
20Andy Alfa00000112/14/2008$611.23$30.56$641.79
30Bernie Beta00000212/15/2008$135.97$6.80$142.77
41Chris Charlie00000312/16/2008$609.60$30.48$640.08
51Dean Delta00000412/17/2008$515.06$25.75$540.81
60Andy Alfa00000112/14/2008$96.97$4.85$101.82
Sheet1

The 'Paid?' column should be 1 if paid, 0 if not paid. Conditional Formatting can be used to cross out paid lines or the like.

Sheet2 is the customer summary:
Excel Workbook
AB
1CustomerTotal Owed
2Andy Alfa$743.61
3Bernie Beta$142.77
4Chris Charlie$0.00
5Dean Delta$0.00
6**
Sheet2

For the ranges, I used named ranges (Ctrl-F3 or Insert -> Name -> Define) with the following names/formulas:
Code:
Customer
=OFFSET(Sheet1!$B$1,1,0,COUNTA(Sheet1!$B:$B)-1,1)

PaymentReceived
=OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$1,1,0,COUNTA(Sheet1!$A:$A)-1,1)

TotalCost
=OFFSET(Sheet1!$G$1,1,0,COUNTA(Sheet1!$G:$G)-1,1)
That is a start. The rest is in the details. Ideally you'd use a different program for this, one that was actually designed for this sort of thing, but...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Don't give up.:)

Perhaps some sample data, and expected results, might help us help you.:)

Are you looking for formulas? Are looking for code?

Like I said, perhaps it's just me, but I don't think I'm quite getting what you are after.

Also it's late here and the basketball just started.:)

Upvote 0
Don't give up.:)

Perhaps some sample data, and expected results, might help us help you.:)

Are you looking for formulas? Are looking for code?

Like I said, perhaps it's just me, but I don't think I'm quite getting what you are after.

Also it's late here and the basketball just started.:)

i know i know i'm sorry. i have just been working at in putting all the bills for the last 2-3 years of business. took me about 6 hours a day for over a week and a half. then when i just get them all done i find out i wasted my time and now i have to do it all over again because of the way i formatted/copied it all down. so i wanted to build the template first and make sure its 100% what i need b4 i start that all over again.

He hasent been paid in over 3 months because his last book keeper fudged off and didnt do any work for about 6 months and we just found out, so now hes about 3-4 months behind on doing bills and i have 3-4 years of book work to input b4 ican even start to look at the recent jobs.

so ya i'm kinda in a hurry lol espicaly since its around x-mas tiome so no one will be in the mood or have the cash to pay bills untill atleast jan-feb so theres another 2-3 months he wont have any cash coming in. so i'm sure u see why i'm so impatient about trying to get this figured out lol.

@Sal Paradise
yes thats pretty much what i'm looking for. but for the life of me i couldnt get the formulas to work. as i said above i'm kinda new to excel. only did basic basic stuff in a grade 10 class. and thats about 6-7 years ago lol

Upvote 0
This is a few rows of what i have atm.

Each row in the pic is a separate bill, i need to be able to take each persons bill listed above and add it to a list of what they individual owe. So on another sheet i will have a running list of what colonial fence owes and has paid and what Murphy trucking owes and has paid.

Simple right? so in my eternal genius i just figured i would make it a table Then use the search/filter options to sort and organize all the data. But that didn't work because i forgot about the next thing i needed to do.

All that did was show what work he got paid for at the job site. But alot of his business people send him checks a few months later. So thats why i have a sheet that looks like this.

(Note:this info is actually on a peace of paper. but since i don't have a scanner i just made a quick table in excel showing what it is.)

This pic is of all the checks he receives in the mail. He simply rights down the date he receives them, who it was from, and how much the check was for. So then using that sheet i need to go over all the data i inputted from above and change any of the bills from owed to paid,then show what they still owe.

On top of that tho. Not every check he receives is the exact amount. Some times people just send him a check for say $1000, and say to apply it to their account balance. So that's why i need a 2nd sheet that shows a running tally of each persons account balance.

I tried using a pivot table, but that didn't work because i couldn't update the data. So what I'm looking for is a way to just be able to keep adding new bills to sheet one as they come in, and have it tally and sort each persons account balance on a different sheet. Pretty much a pivot table that i can keep updating by adding new info as i go, into sheet 2 without needing to remake the pivot table every time i add a new bill or show a payment on an account balance. Some thing like this pivot table.

Only in that example it doesn't subtract payments from the amount still owed. Another thing i couldn't figure out lol. If i could get something like that on a 2nd sheet, only one that subtracts paid bills from the total owed. And that it will auto update as i input more bills into sheet one. Doesnt need to look like the pivot table. just show that info.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiguekHeka

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back