Help for a newcomer needed please.

kins

Board Regular
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
Firstly, I am new to the forum, so hello.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Secondly, and most importantly, I would like some help please. I am trying to write a formula in Excel but am have a little difficulty. I have tried ‘IF’ statements and also ‘Vlookups’ and ‘IF’ statements, but neither are working. Basically, what I am trying to do is find out if a worker from the main sheet is on another sheet showing as active, then I want to show the text active. If they aren’t on the sheet the I want to show “inactive”. I want this to be dragged down a full list of employees. I have tried the following =IF(A14='Employee List'!B14:B35,"Active","Not Active"). This works for the first cell but doesn’t work when the formula is dragged down. <o:p></o:p>
I hope I have explained myself well. If not, I am happy to answer any further.<o:p></o:p>
Many thanks in advance.<o:p></o:p>
Kins.<o:p></o:p>

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.

kins

Board Regular
Send me a pm with your e-mail, and I'll send you a worked example

Ok, Steve. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
PM Sent.<o:p></o:p>

kins

Board Regular

ADVERTISEMENT

No worries.

Always a pleasure to assist the colonials

Very Good. :LOL:

Following on from the formula you gave me, can I just ask, what does the 'ISERROR' element of the formula mean/do? It's one things being able to achieve my task, but I would like to understand the formula going forward.

Thanks in advance.

Kins.

SteveO59L

If vlookup() doesnt find the target value, it will return #n/a - an error.

Iserror checks for errors (#n/a is just one type) - you could equally use IsNa, or Iserr.

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chiefskingdom98

This Week's Hot Topics