***help?? formula across multiple sheets!!!

ttroake87

ok, im fairly new to excel and i dont know all the names of the functions beyond =SUM lol. im usually pretty good at puzzling out via trial and error using common sense to get the formula i need, but im in a rut right now and cant seem to figure out what i think to be a fairly simple problem.

ill word my problem as obviously as possible.

i have a workbook (i think thats what its called, lets just call it an "excel file" for now), i have an excel file for every month of the year, in each of these files i have a worksheet for every day of the month.

im imputting gas prices and litres sold for my gas station into each worksheet according to the days sales.

row A1 is the opening sales and row a2 is the closing sales

row a4 is the opening litres and row a5 is the closing litres.

normally at the end of the day we would input the sales into b2,c2,d2...k2
and the litres into b5,c5,d5...k5

then we would manually go to the next worksheet and input the closing numbers from the previous worksheet into the opening fields for the following day.

its tedious, and needless im sure.

ive been able to dabble out the formula =SUM(sheet1!A2) i put this formula into sheet 2 under A1 and it works perfectly, simply transcribing whatever was in the previous CLOSING field into the next days OPENING field. simple.

i am stuck here. i can not think of how to transfer this formula to all 30 worksheets for each month without manually changing the sheet1 to sheet2,3,4,5,6, etc in the formula.

in mathematics it would look like this.

n - representing any given selected worksheet

=SUM(sheet n-1!A2)

meaning, this cell equals cell A2 of the preceding worksheet.

that way i could paste and expand that formula in every worksheet and TADA no more needing to manually re-type in the numbers a second time.

but of course i dont know how to word that in excel langauge....

ANY HELP?

sorry for the long windedness, i just wanted to be clear :S i probably wasnt to anyone else but myself, but hopefully someone can understand what im talking about.,.

THANKS!

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
Hi and welcome to the board
Could you not Highlight the first sheet tab, hold down the Shift key and then click on the last sheet Tab.
When all sheets are highlighted, simply type your formula into the correect location on the first sheet.
Now right click on any sheet Tab and "Ungroup Sheets"
The formual will then be in the same location on all sheets.

Regards
Michael M

Upvote 0
that works if i am trying to copy the same formula across multiple sheets, but the formula changes slightly with every sheet, the variable is the sheet number.
cell a3 in sheet 2 is equal to cell a2 in sheet 1
cell a3 in sheet 3 is equal to cell a2 in sheet 2
etc etc.

if i just copy the formula then whatever sheet # i type in the original formula is where every subsequent sheet will get its data, i need each subsequent sheet to get its data from the sheet directly preceding it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back