Help! How to delete record from two columns if vlookup returns value??

robyboy123

Well hy everyone!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I desperate need help on my xls file. Here’s the deal. I have two columns containing id numbers. I used vlookup in the third column to find an id from the first column, and the range is the second column. Now if the vlookup finds the id, it returns the same id found in the search range (second column), otherwise it returns N/A, and that’s fine for me..<o:p></o:p>
Here is the actual problem. A must now define a function which will compare the 1. and the 3. column, and if they match it should delete it from both the first and second column. <o:p></o:p>
I defined this =IF(ISNA(C578);A578;REPLACE(A578;1;40;""))<o:p></o:p>
Now I know this is not an elegant way of performing this task, and also I don’t know how to force excel to delete the same id number from the second column too ?? <o:p></o:p>
I’m worried about the "" … will this enter a space ( char(32)) in the row ? This could be a problem because I have to export the data back, and the space (blank) sign might be a problem. <o:p></o:p>
So to clear things out, a have to delete the identical id’s form the first and second column. <o:p></o:p>
Thnx in advance :) <o:p></o:p>

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
Well hy everyone!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
I desperate need help on my xls file. Here’s the deal. I have two columns containing id numbers. I used vlookup in the third column to find an id from the first column, and the range is the second column. Now if the vlookup finds the id, it returns the same id found in the search range (second column), otherwise it returns N/A, and that’s fine for me..<o:p></o:p>
Here is the actual problem. A must now define a function which will compare the 1. and the 3. column, and if they match it should delete it from both the first and second column. <o:p></o:p>
I defined this =IF(ISNA(C578);A578;REPLACE(A578;1;40;""))<o:p></o:p>
Now I know this is not an elegant way of performing this task, and also I don’t know how to force excel to delete the same id number from the second column too ?? <o:p></o:p>
I’m worried about the "" … will this enter a space ( char(32)) in the row ? This could be a problem because I have to export the data back, and the space (blank) sign might be a problem. <o:p></o:p>
So to clear things out, a have to delete the identical id’s form the first and second column. <o:p></o:p>
Thnx in advance :) <o:p></o:p>

Looks like you're doing everything manually. You could copy and paste special on Column C, replace N/A with "" and then sort on Column C, then A. That would bring all you're dupe to the top. This will at least get you a bump.

BTW "" this is the Null sign a space would be indicated by " "

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmmotairi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back