[Help me] Open excel file is very slow, input text is slow.

OnlyK

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
I use a computer to work with an excel file of about 18Mb, slow to enter text, it rotates before entering (Calculating (4 Threads): 1% 10%.....100%)
I only use the Vlookup function to search between 2 sheets.. the data file is over 100,000 lines
My company machine uses i5-7400 processor, 8Gb ram
So is the file heavy or what is the cause? help me !!
You can download the file by following the link...
FILE TEST CHUNG TU - DUYEN 2020.xlsx

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
You have 7,650 vlookups that recalculate every time you change a cell.

Upvote 0
Set Calculation to manual at the start then when you have changed the required cells set calcultion to automatic
Could use a macro to set to manual at workbook open

Upvote 0
I would say, for starters, try running it in manual calculation mode and see if that speeds things up dramatically for you. While you are in manual calculation mode, you can click the F9 key to recalculate cells. After you make any changing of cells that you want to do, turn automatic calculation back on. To change the calculation mode, go to the 'formulas' tab then select 'calculations options'. In that drop down you will be able to select 'manual' or 'automatic'.

That is probably going to be the quickest/easiest way to solve the 'slow while entering text' that you mentioned.

The more time consuming, but more permanent, fix would be to replace your 'vlookup' formulas so you won't have to turn the calculations mode off and on each time you want to make changes.

Upvote 0
@johnnyL Did you open the OP's file....is it something that could be EVALUATE driven ??

Upvote 0
@Michael M. I did indeed but, I opened it in 'Protected View' as a precaution. This unfortunately does not allow any copying of the data. Let me see what I can do to provide some more info.

I think I have a 'safe' way to get around that, either way, lemme see what I can do, I'll Be Back!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonilla0331

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back