Help me solve this problem

dgbezerra

I am trying to find a way in excel to look up at a list of numbers associated with a name and find the best combination within this list that will be equal or close to a specific number that I would input at the bottom of the list. For example:

The list would be something like this: Stock performance list

Coca Cola 2%
Microsoft 6%
Bank of America 10%

Index 12%

*This is just an example. The real list would involve 1000 company stocks.

The excercise: To look at this list above and find using some sort of formula which combination would be equal or closest to the index result at the end of the year of 12%. From this example you can see that a possible solution would be the combination of Coca Cola and Bank of Ameirca would be equal to the index 12%. But in case that the list becomes 1000 stocks I have no idea how to use a formula to find this combination.

If you have suggestions please I greatly apprecite.

Diogo Bezerra

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
Hi, Diogo. In the future, please include more descriptive subject headings (as explained in the guidelines for posting here http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?t=131687). This will increase the visibility of your post as more people will look at it if its title is descriptive. For this example, maybe something like "determine the mix to sum to a value" or similar would have been good.

That said, this is the *type* of problem that Solver is ideal for. However, given your "changeable cells" (i.e. your 1000 stock variables) is well beyond the capacity of the solver add-in that is included with Excel, you would probably need to purchase one of the higher powered solver models available at http://www.solver.com/

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back