Help! Need to calculate the next instance (date) of a variable weekday beyond a fixed date

Graesen

Hi. I've never used Excel to calculate dates before. I have a basic grasp of some date related functions but not enough to be able to solve the following problem. I'm hoping someone with more knowledge than I have will be able give me some help.

Basically, I need to display the next (date) instance of a weekday following a specified date.

For Example

In cell A1 I've recorded a 'start date'
in cell A2 I have a formula that calculates a weekday based on other data that outputs a weekday, e.g Monday, 2, Tuesday, 3, etc.
in cell A3 I would like to display the next date of the same weekday found in cell A2, following the date in cell A1

The output would look something like this

(A1) 01/05/2018 [dd:mm:yyyy, fixed]
(A2) Monday (the variable)
(A3) 07/05/2018 (the Output)

I'm playing around with WEEKDAY function to add an appropriate number of days to A1 +7 for the week but each time I change either the start date, or the start day, the formula I have breaks. I think it's down to the 'Return Type' not being dynamic as the formula I've created will work if the return type is change to account for the change in day.

I've deliberately not included my formula as I'm sure it isn't correct or appropriate!

Any suggestions you make would be gratefully appreciated. At this stage I'm open to anything!

With Thanks
Graesen

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Assuming A2: 1=Sunday, 2 = Monday ... 7 = Saturday

Try A3: =A1+8-WEEKDAY(A1-A2+1)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RExcelSearch

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back