[Help Needed] Sum IF matching partial text via single cell using numeric values for match

Lyryx

In excel work book one, I have account codes that look like this.
00-1-110-31011
00-1-110-31031
00-1-110-31042

<tbody>
</tbody>

This account code occupies one cell and is followed by a $ value in the next adjacent cell.

In excel work book two, I have account codes that look like this.

110-31011 Total
110-31031 Total
110-31042 Total

<tbody>
</tbody>
This account code occupies one cell as well. and is followed by a $ value in the next adjacent cell too.

I need to match the information from excel work book 2 and transfer it into work book 1. I would normally use a SumIF function for this but the cell's information isn't an exact match between cells. Excel Workbook 2 is also set up as a subtotal which may affect the formula required as well.

Is there a variation of the SumIF formula I can use to look up the corresponding values in the 2nd workbook to populate the first workbook?

Thank you in advance. :)

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
You can convert from the format in book 1 to the format in book 2 using the below formula, which could be incorporated into your SUMIF function:
=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-5)&" Total"

Upvote 0
if you put a helper column on sheet 1 you can do it. in your new column out the formula =right(A:A,9)

then in your sheet 2 you can uses the formula =SUMIF(Sheet1!C:C,LEFT(Sheet2!A1,9),Sheet1!B:B) C:C being the new column in sheet 1

Upvote 0
I never knew about the Right or Left functions. Thank you very much! You've both saved me quite a bit of time going forward. Can't wait to put these to work :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back