Help on Append Query

Pettor

Board Regular
Hi All,

Since I am a newbie in databases I would like a help so as to amend an existing append query in MS Access.

I have an already made MS Access program that does some actions and calculations and returns some data to a final table.

One of the steps is to execute an append query called "APPEND_PRO_TBL" that updates a blank table called "PRO_TBL". The append query doesn't uses the data from a table but from another simple query called "PRO3".

Since the MS Access has restrictions to the returned data of a query and since the columns that I need are more than 100, I have created a new query called "PRO4" where it selects the additional data that the "PRO3" can not return due to the size restriction.

So I have the "PRO3" query that returns let's say 50 columns of data and a new "PRO4" query that returns another 50 columns of data and I would like to combine them both on the table "PRO_TBL" through the append query "APPEND_PRO_TBL".

What I have done so far, that doesn't seem to be working, is to add to the table "PRO_TBL" the columns that are related with the query "PRO4" (i.e. DATE) in order to be ready to accept the data of the new query and through the environment of Access I add on the append query "APPEND_PRO_TBL" the new "PRO4" query so as to be combined with the "PRO3" but it doesn't seem to be working. MS Access returns as an SQL code like the below and I receive the message "Query to complex":

INSERT INTO PRO_TBL ( ID, MDATE )
SELECT PRO3.ID, PRO4.MDATE
FROM PRO3 INNER JOIN PRO4 ON PRO3.ID = PRO4.ID;

Could anyone be able to identify the problem and if not to suggest and alternative way so as to amend the data of the table "PRO_TBL"?

My problem is that I haven't created the database by myself and I don't want to mess the whole program in a way that it won't be operational or it will need other amendments.

My need is to update the final table "PRO_TBL" through the append query "APPEND_PRO_TBL" combining the two queries "PRO3" and "PRO4"...

Any help will be more that welcomed!

Thanks

Hi Guys,

Problem solved by creating a new independend query that updates a different table. Then I combined the data of both tables to the final form.

Thank you for your replies!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back