Help on array formula conversion

dmark224

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
hi good day/evening,

I am new to this forums and I want to thank everyone in advance,

can someone help me with my array problem, I wan to be able to compare a cell on a list. with this formula

COLUMN C is the list
APPLE
BANANA
STRAWBERRY
PINEAPPLE
ORANGE

COLUMN D is the what i want to compare to every row on the list
Bananna

COLUMN E is
=len(C2)

=SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(C2,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" & E2)))=LEFT(D2,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" &E2)))))
this works on side by side comparisson, I would like to compare all what is in the list on column C with what is in the cell in D2. then retaining the maximum value
compare C2=D2 , C3=D2, C4=D2, C5=D2 and so on.

somewhat like this

=MAX(SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(C2,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" & E2)))=LEFT(D2,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" &E2))))),SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(C3,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" & E2)))=LEFT(D2,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" &E2))))),SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(C4,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" & E2)))=LEFT(D2,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" &E2))))),SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(C5,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" & E2)))=LEFT(D2,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" &E2))))),SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(MID(C5,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" & E2)),1),D2)))))

another formula that I need to address is

=SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(MID(C2,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" & E2)),1),D2))))
this works on side by side comparisson, I would like to compare a list on column C with a cell. then retaining the maximum value

=MAX(SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(MID(C2,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" & E2)),1),D2)))),SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(MID(C3,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" & E2)),1),D2)))),SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(MID(C4,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" & E2)),1),D2)))),SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(MID(C5,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" & E2)),1),D2)))),SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(MID(C6,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" & E2)),1),D2)))))

but the list can go as long as there is data from the list (column c) "may use counta"

I am not using index match because this would only look for exact match. I want to be able to decide the percentage of approximate searching.

Thank you in advance

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
Welcome to Mr. Excel. It would help anyone trying to assist if you'd (a) use XL2BB to show your sample data and (b) provide expected results.

Upvote 0
sorry i have to re-write my question COLUMN E is Len(D2)

hi good day/evening,

I am new to this forums and I want to thank everyone in advance,

can someone help me with my array problem, I wan to be able to compare a cell on a list. with this formula

COLUMN C is the list

APPLE
BANANA
STRAWBERRY
PINEAPPLE
ORANGE

COLUMN D is the what i want to compare to every row on the list
Bananna

COLUMN E is
=len(D2)

=SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(C2,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" & E2)))=LEFT(D2,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" &E2)))))
this works on side by side comparisson, I would like to compare all what is in the list on column C with what is in the cell in D2. then retaining the maximum value

somewhat like this
=MAX(SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(C2,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" & E2)))=LEFT(D2,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" &E2))))),SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(C3,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" & E2)))=LEFT(D2,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" &E2))))),SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(C4,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" & E2)))=LEFT(D2,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" &E2))))),SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(C5,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" & E2)))=LEFT(D2,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" &E2))))),SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(MID(C5,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" & E2)),1),D2)))),SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(MID(C6,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" & E2)),1),D2)))))

and per character

=SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(MID(D2,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" & E2)),1),C2))))

=MAX(SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(MID(D2,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" & E2)),1),C2)))),SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(MID(D2,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" & E2)),1),C3)))),SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(MID(D2,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" & E2)),1),C4)))),SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(MID(D2,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" & E2)),1),C5)))),SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(MID(D2,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" & E2)),1),C6)))))

but the list can go as long as there is data from the list (column c) "may use counta"

I am not using index match because this would only look for exact match. I want to be able to decide the percentage of approximate searching.

Thank you in advance

attaching excel file.

approximatelookupBetter.xlsx
ABCDEFGHI
1LIST SUBCOMPARE SUBcompare left to rightcompare per characterresult that I want with out manual input per row left to rightresult that I want with out manual input per row per character
2APPLEstrawbery90289
3BANANAbaanan62626
4STRAWBERRYpineapple90399
5PINEAPPLEorange60366
6ORANGEapple50255
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
E2:E6E2=LEN(D2)
F2:F6F2=SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(C2,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" & E2)))=LEFT(D2,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" &E2)))))
G2:G6G2=SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(MID(D2,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" & E2)),1),C2))))
H2:H6H2=MAX(SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT($C$2,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" & E2)))=LEFT(D2,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" &E2))))),SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT($C$3,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" & E2)))=LEFT(D2,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" &E2))))),SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT($C$4,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" & E2)))=LEFT(D2,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" &E2))))),SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT($C$5,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" & E2)))=LEFT(D2,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" &E2))))),SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(MID(C5,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" & E2)),1),D2)))),SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(MID($C$6,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" & E2)),1),D2)))))
I2:I6I2=MAX(SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(MID(D2,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" & E2)),1),$C$2)))),SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(MID(D2,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" & E2)),1),$C$3)))),SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(MID(D2,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" & E2)),1),$C$4)))),SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(MID(D2,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" & E2)),1),$C$5)))),SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(MID(D2,ROW(INDIRECT("c1:c" & E2)),1),$C$6)))))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uzair Tahir Khan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back