Help on simplifying a formula

cmerrick

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm having a bad day and can't think of how to simplify the below formula

=IF(OR(Affordability!D25='Afford Validation'!M4,Affordability!D25='Afford Validation'!M5,Affordability!D25='Afford Validation'!M6),MAX('Afford Validation'!E16:E19),OR(Affordability!D25='Afford Validation'!M7,Affordability!D25='Afford Validation'!M8,Affordability!D25='Afford Validation'!M9,Affordability!D25='Afford Validation'!M10)*MAX('Afford Validation'!E17:E19))

Basically, it's a looking at a field (D25). If the field's value is A,B or C then it needs to use the Max of 4 values (E16:E19), if the value of D25 is D,E,F or G then it needs to use the Max of 3 values (E17:E19).

I know I've overcomplicated it but anything I try to make it more simple seems to result in an error. I was originally trying,

=IFS(Affordability!D25='Afford Validation'!M4:M6,MAX('Afford Validation'!E16:E19),Affordability!D25='Afford Validation'!M7:M10,MAX('Afford Validation'!E17:E19))

Any help is appreciated

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
You could use a countif for example:

=IF(COUNTIF('Afford Validation'!M4:M6,Affordability!D25),MAX('Afford Validation'!E16:E19),IF(COUNTIF('Afford Validation'!M7:M10,Affordability!D25),MAX('Afford Validation'!E17:E19),))

Upvote 0
Solution
looking at a field (D25). If the field's value is A,B or C then it needs to use the Max of 4 values (E16:E19), if the value of D25 is D,E,F or G then it needs to use the Max of 3 values (E17:E19).
Assuming the D25 does exist in the M4:M10 range you could try
Excel Formula:
=MAX(INDEX('Afford Validation'!E16:E17,1+(MATCH(Affordability!D25,'Afford Validation'!M4:M10,0)>3)):'Afford Validation'!E19)

BTW, what is the name of the sheet that this formula is in?

Also, I suggest that you update your Account details (click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Upvote 0
Thank you both for your help. I've gone with the first response from Steve the Fish.

Peter - thanks for the tip re Excel Version and Platform!

Upvote 0
the name of the sheet is/was 'Afford Validation'
Thanks.
In that case you should remove all references to that sheet name from the formula. Apart from making the formula considerably shorter and easier to read, using the sheet name of the sheet that a formula is on can actually cause problems in some circumstances.

So, for example, my formula would become:

Excel Formula:
=MAX(INDEX(E16:E17,1+(MATCH(Affordability!D25,M4:M10,0)>3)):E19)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiSonic

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back