Help on zeros and charting (I searched)

pete234

Hi,

I searched and nothing quite fit. I have 12 sheets, one for each month. I have a chart sheet and a table sheet that directly reference these sheets and the totals.

Totals are calculated as I enter data for the months. I also want the charts to calculate on the fly as the totals are entered.

For months that haven't been entered there is "0" for their totals. So January looks good then Feb (since I haven't started yet) the line just plummets to the zero and plots across. I want months that haven't been completed, not to chart. Or if you want, that are zero values, not to plot. It doesn't matter to me how it has to be done. Just have the line end at the month prior to the zero value.

And no, I really don't want to change the X or Y range every month for 14 different charts, although I guess that's a possibility.

I've tried changing the Cell Format to show a Blank if the cell contains a zero. The cells show blank but the chart still plots the zeros. It does this even if I change it on the orginating worksheet and the Chart Tables worksheet. I tried hiding the rows containing the zeros. Unfortunately, that's either my X or Y axis for the chart so it hides my months or Regions on the charts. That won't work. Finally, hiding the worksheets (would make sense!) doesn't hide the cells that are in the plot (?), so they will not make use of the "plot visible only" under Tools > Options. Let me know if you have some input and hopefully I'm overlooking something obvious.

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Hi

Replace the unfilled months with the formula =na(). This will give the #n/a error, but the graph will not show it.

Tony

Upvote 0
I have SUM in the ref cells so I tried:

=IF(SUM(B24,B26,B28)=0,"NA",(B24,B26,B28))

Is that what you mean? This still plotted Jan- Feb with a line. An example would be great.

Upvote 0
Heya Pete,

Replace "NA" with NA() and you'll be good to go.

=IF(SUM(B24,B26,B28)=0,NA(),(B24,B26,B28))

HTH,

Smitty

Upvote 0
NA() not working?!

Hi there! I appear to be having a problem with this solution - my x-axis values are #N/A but they are still appearing in the chart - as "#N/A" !!

Any suggestions on how to solve this same problem with a different solution?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back