Help Please: Indirect named range in chart data, pulling from validation list.

aiki100

Board Regular
Hello all -

I recently posted something similar here, and got some great help that got me 70% of the way, but I'm still stuck. Was hoping someone could pick up the thread and show me the error of my ways. Thanks!

Final result desired:
I have a chart on Sheet3, and wish to update that chart dynamically via a drop down validation cell — I have 5 different columns of data, and would like the chart to reflect the choice of whatever column is chosen in the drop-down list.

Here is what I have done:

A- I have 5 columns of data on Sheet1, and have created individual named ranges out of them all. (This will be the ultimate source for what will change in the chart.)

B- I then created a lookup on Sheet2 to be used with a validation list. I used the named ranges described above, typing their names in, exactly as in name manager (all one word, no spaces).

C- On Sheet3, I created a data validation box using list in $I$8, pointing it to the lookup on Sheet2. This all works as expected, so far.

D - I then created one more named range, called "EqC_Period" using INDIRECT to point to the data validation list (of the individual named ranges) on Sheet3. Like so:

=INDIRECT(Sheet3!$I$8)

E - Right-clicking the chart, and choosing select data, I deleted whatever was in the series currently, and created a new series (with the + sign) and entered:

=Sheet3!EqC_Period

And here I do get a chart - which upon inspection has converted itself to whatever the named range was in the validation box at the time I changed the series, but subsequent changes to the validation box produces no change in the chart.

So — Chart series should be (indirectly) pulling a named range from a data validation list, which itself (the validation list) lists the 5 actual named ranges of data on another sheet in the same workbook.

I feel like I have too much pointed to each other in too many places, but google and repeated experiments have gotten me nowhere.

Does anyone see what I am missing here, please?
Thanks so much for taking the time - I really appreciate it!

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiguekHeka

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back