Help populating cells with formulas based on contents of another cell

Mr_Intuition

Hi all. This is my first post and I'm hoping some of you excel gurus out there can help me. I have a spreadsheet I have made up that allows me to build a weekly menu and helps aid the user in counting calories. The first worksheet has the meal for Monday. Once I get the formulas entered, I'll just copy for the rest of the days of the week. Under "breakfast" on Monday, a user can use a drop down menu to pick a food item that comes from a list on another worksheet in the same workbook. Once they choose a food item, I want it to populate specific cells with corresponding multipliers. The user then enters the amount of the serving and that is multiplied by the multipliers mentioned above and thus populates one cell with number of calories, one cell with grams of fat, one cell with grams of protein and one cell with grams of carbohydrates. Hopefully this makes sense.

Below is a snapshot of the monday worksheet:

w003l.jpg

So when someone chooses bacon from the drop down list like shown above, I want it to lookup the nutritional information on this page:
s6hytz.jpg
and apply those multipliers/value to the cells on the Monday worksheet under "calorie", "fat", "carb", etc. That value will then be multiplied by the number in the "serving" column and an actual value will be placed in the row so the user knows how many calories, fat, etc will be consumed in a serving. The totals for the meal will be at the bottom (I know how to do that formula) letting the user know if the meal is in line with the diet he/she is on.

Hopefully this makes sense and isn't too confusing. I talked with one person and they said it would require some visual basic commands...which I know nothing about. Help please someone! I'm hoping this isn't too hard of a thing I'm trying to do!

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
I try the vlookup function and it keeps returning a different value than what I intended. For instance, when I do this with the Bacon example, it returns a value that is for C column (3) instead of the B column which is 43. Any idea why? here is the formula I have come up with so far: =VLOOKUP(B4,Food!1:65536,Food!B:B,FALSE)

Upvote 0
Your lookup range is too large and the second comma should be followed by a number or formula whose result is a number:

try: =vlookup($B4,Food!$A$2:$E$32,column(b1),0)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back