Help requested to improve my time tracking spreadsheet

ateam505

Hello,

I am an engineer for a chemical company and do work primarily on projects, and typically I work on multiple projects in a given time frame.

I have to track my hours worked on each project and charge them out to the project using SAP by the end of the month.

I've been using a self-created spreadsheet to track my hours each day, and I'd like to get recommendations to help improve my spreadsheet and make input more efficient.

For each given month (May 2020 shown), I start with all of the weekdays listed for that month (1 row for each cell).

As I work on projects each day, I add a row below, copy and paste the date, and repeat this process until I have enough rows for the days (if I worked on three projects on Friday, May 1st, then I want three rows for that day and I'll enter the name of each project and the hours I work).

This process seems very clunky and inefficient and I assume there's a better way of doing it in excel if someone could help me out. It takes a matter of seconds to enter an extra row, but I'm sure over the course of a year it adds up. Does anyone know if there's any easier way to add new date rows besides this clunky was of insert row then copy and paste the date?
Time Tracking Spreadsheet Screenshot.png

(Note: I intended to attach the spreadsheet but I can't figure out how to do that, I attached a screenshot though instead.)

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
why not just add the data as you go along
no need to start with a complete month
not sure why you need to start with a full month

Upvote 0
why not just add the data as you go along
no need to start with a complete month
not sure why you need to start with a full month

That’s an option worst case. I like to show the entire month though so I can plan out my month — how many weekdays there are (even though I can use a count function for that) but also if I have scheduled days of project meeting, holidays, vacation, or so I can keep in mind how many days are left in the month and how many hours per day I need to meet my targets.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back