Help selecting and applying the correct function to return desired results please.

Beware Wet Paint

<style>table { }td { padding: 0px; color: black; font-size: 12pt; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; text-decoration: none; font-family: Calibri,sans-serif; vertical-align: bottom; border: medium none; white-space: nowrap; }.xl63 { font-weight: 700; }.xl64 { text-align: center; }</style>
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
Name
CheckoutsKioskSelf-ScanCSDTrolleysNumber of skills
Simon
TrainedTrainedTrainedNot trainedNot trained3
Heather
TrainedTrainedTrainedTrainedNot trained4
Emma
TrainedNot trainedNot trainedNot trainedNot trained1
Jasmine
Hannah
Sharon
Susan
James
Emily
Paul
Sharon
Amy
Franny
TrainedNot trainedTrainedNot trainedNot trained2
Patrick
TrainedUnderageUnderageUnderageTrained2
Zoe
TrainedUnderageUnderageUnderageNot trained1
Anthony
Not trainedNot trainedTrainedNot trainedNot trained1
Val
Lousie
Natalie
Peter
Shirley
Karen
Nick
Not trainedNot trainedNot trainedNot trainedTrained1
Lee
Joshua
TrainedUnderageUnderageUnderageTrained2
Ayesha
Claire
Betty
Adam
Julie
Martin
Hilary
Jack
TrainedNot trainedTrainedNot trainedTrained3
Laura
Anna
Joe
Elle
Jane
Chris
Maria
Rory
TrainedUnderageUnderageNot trainedTrained2
Jamie
Victoria
Christian
TrainedTrainedTrainedNot trainedTrained4
Total no of colleagues trained42132749

<colgroup><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:7509;width:176pt" width="176"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:3157;width:74pt" width="74"> <col style="width:65pt" width="65"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:2858;width:67pt" width="67"> <col style="width:65pt" span="2" width="65"> <col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:3669;width:86pt" width="86"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Hello, I was wondering if anyone would possibly be able to help me.

Above is a spreadsheet I created of colleagues explaining which skills they are trained in: the text in each cell which intersects a name with a skill is selected from a drop-down menu of validated criteria: 'trained, not trained, underage'.

In column G I have calculated the total number of skills each colleague is trained in by using the formula =COUNTIF(B2:F2,"Trained") etc.

In row 46 I have calculated the total number of colleagues trained in a skill by using the formula =COUNTIF(B2:B45,"Trained") etc.

I was wondering if there would be a way to use a formula to return a list of names of colleagues who are trained in various combinations of skills? E.g a formula which would produce a list of names of colleagues who are trained on both checkout and self-scan etc? I'm uncertain as to which function/functions I'd have to use to achieve this or if this is even possible?

Any help would be brilliant and I'm a relative newbie I'm afraid.
Thank you

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
How about a formula like

=SUMPRODUCT( (INDEX(A1:G100,,MATCH("checkout",A1:G1,0))="trained") * (INDEX(A1:G100,,MATCH("self-serve",A1:G1,0))="trained") )

Upvote 0
Hey

Your best bet is using a Pivot table.

Click on any cell in your data
Go Insert > Pivot table and click OK
Select the "Name" column and drag it to Row labels
Column B-F you can pull to Report Filter (Or with Office 2010 you can go Insert Slicers)
Now you can select "Trained" in "Checkouts", "Kiosk" and "Trolleys" for instance and only "Christian" will be in your list

Viola!

Upvote 0
Thank you mikerickson, that formula will really help with the future statistical comparisons I want to make :)
Thank you Wessie, that's hit the nail on the head for what I wanted to achieve- I was a bit scared of using pivot tables but you explained it in a very accessible manner :)

Much gratitude- as ever very prompt and helpful.

Upvote 0
I think the easiest and fastest method here would be a quick pivot table. Highlight A1:G45, insert pivot, filter by all 5 training topics, and use Name for row labels. Through the filters, you can select "Trained" for each category you care about and the result will be a simple list of names of everyone who is trained on the topics you select.

If you're certain you want to use formulas, it will take a little bit more work. Here's one way to make it work (there are several, but this is my style I guess):

Insert a column to the left of your range. This will become a variable indexing column.

Off to the right of your range, perhaps in cells J2 through J6, set up 5 drop-down lists. Each list is data validated with the 5 training topics. The user could select which topics require trained colleagues.

Back to the inserted column: In what is now A2, enter this formula: =IF(AND(IFERROR(HLOOKUP(J$2,C$1:G2,ROW(),FALSE),"Trained")="Trained",IFERROR(HLOOKUP(J$3,C$1:G2,ROW(),FALSE),"Trained")="Trained",IFERROR(HLOOKUP(J$4,C$1:G2,ROW(),FALSE),"Trained")="Trained",IFERROR(HLOOKUP(J$5,C$1:G2,ROW(),FALSE),"Trained")="Trained",IFERROR(HLOOKUP(J$6,C$1:G2,ROW(),FALSE),"Trained")="Trained"),MAX(A$1:A1)+1,"")

Copy that down to A45. That will create an index for vlookup that changes based on what you require training in. It assumes you put your critera into J2 through J6.

Then create a numbered list of 1 through 44, perhaps starting in L2. Then, in M2, use this vlookup: =VLOOKUP(L2,A$2:B$45,2,FALSE)

It's quick, dirty, and gets the job done. If you need the output to look pretty, you can do a lot of things with formatting - but if this is for your own personal use, all you need is for it to work :)

Upvote 0
Thank you mikerickson, that formula will really help with the future statistical comparisons I want to make :)
Thank you Wessie, that's hit the nail on the head for what I wanted to achieve- I was a bit scared of using pivot tables but you explained it in a very accessible manner :)

Much gratitude- as ever very prompt and helpful.

Always glad to help!

Enjoy using Pivots in future!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fuddy_Duddy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back