Help sorting text fields with many repeats into two cells

Lurkily

So I'm handling a large file with a dialog tree in it, full of dialog that I'm writing for a game. The structure looks like this, currently using a Word bullet list.

1. Faction name
1.1 DIALOG_FACTION_DESCRIPTIVE_LABEL Hey, man, this is an introductory comment.
1.1.1 DIALOG_FACTION_DESCRIPTIVE_REPLY_LABEL Hey yourself, and guess what, this is a reply.
1.1.1.1 DIALOG_FACTION_TEXT_THAT_IS_REPEATED_ELSEWHERE This text is used in more than one place.
1.1.2 DIALOG_FACTION_DESCRIPTIVE_REPLY_LABEL_VARIANT Hey yourself, and guess what, this is a variant reply.
1.1.1.1 DIALOG_FACTION_TEXT_THAT_IS_REPEATED_ELSEWHERE This text is used in more than one place.

I've begun digging into the formulas, but my knowledge of Excel is not terribly deep, and I'm accustomed to using it to track money, and have no idea how to handle strings.

My problem is this; I have 41 pages of this, largely because many dialog trees are re-used many times, and it will only grow. Some branches with multiple sub-branches occur 8 or 10 times. I want to take a copy of this out of the bulleted format (leaving the descriptive label the first part of the string) and make an alphabetically sorted list of all dialog lines, with no repeats. The list should be composed of the descriptive label in one cell, and the plain text in the other.

This will give me an easy way to export this document via copy and paste to an excel document, providing a cell for the label next to the cell for the English, to evaluate if there are reproduction errors and to provide a list to translate into other languages from.

The label always starts with DIALOG and has no spaces.

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
is that what you want?
game.jpg

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back