Help sum range of cells by background color WITHOUT using MACROS in Excel 2013

Tenchi

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum but desperate for help. I'm basically creating/forecasting shift schedules in Excel 2013. Unfortunately, my work does not allow for the use of macros. I have already built an schedule in which each cell represents a day and contains general number of hours for that day, and can easily manipulate it with Excel 2013's built-in sum formulas. To my frustrations, management wants an "easy on the eyes / color-coded" schedule that can be quickly and easily updated. Here is a link to my spreadsheet to be given to management - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_mJH6r7rpTkSUNiTTlBLVVzREU/view?usp=sharing.

Hiding ' 1 ' (colored to the highlighting) in each cell is too time consuming/complicated as schedules changes too frequently to meet environment needs. I basically need help building a formula that will scan a employee's shift for the 24hr period and count/sum only the cells highlighted. I've been researching this for 2 months now and no luck. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
this is not possible without VBA, you do not need to run a macro everytime though a custom function could be created but there are no standard functions

Upvote 0
Hi,
An option is to use a number 1 in each of the cells and then use conditional format to colour the cells if they contain the value 1
If you make the text colour the same as the bar fill colour the numbers will not be seen.
Then you can use a simple sum formula in column AA

The conditonal format rule should be :-
Format only cells that contain
Cell Value
equal to
="1"

Hope that helps a little
Paul.

Upvote 0
Hi
Correction:-

Make sure your cells are formatted as "General"
The use this Conditional Format
Format only cells that contain
Cell Value
equal to
=1

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back