Help w/unique nesting of countif statement

wilbursdad

I use a countif statement and find the number of times a cell contains a value in an entire sheet.
Now each time it does find the value I want it to Sum the $ amount of these occurances that is shown in another cell. Each time the value appears, the formula would have to look in the previous column. If that cell is formatted as currency that is the value. If it is not it needs to keep moving down (a maximum of 4 cells) one cell at a time until it finds a currency value and then that is it. Does anyone have any ideas?

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
You're saying you have a COUNTIF, but your description sounds like you want the first value where the adjacent cell is formatted as currency.

A COUNTIF would imply that you would want to count every time this was the case.

What are you trying to do exactly?

How does this maximum of 4 cells requirement fit into it?

Upvote 0
Difficult to explain, lets say I have a sheet with multiple groups of cells that have info in them. A group is 10 cells wide x 10 cells high. In column 10 I have 65 possible entries that can be in these columns. In column 9 at the bottom of the column is a dollar amount that applies to this whole 10 cell x 10 cell group. I want to know how much revenue is associated with each of the different 65 entries. Make sense? If it sees entry "X" 10 times in the entire sheet, then there should be 10 values of $ that go with it. X was responsible for this amount of money. Is this easier to understand?

Upvote 0
It sounds like you could use a pivot table.

But formulawise, could you not use a SUMIF?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back