Help with a name search VB code or a Macro!

JulieG

Hello All,

I am looking for a code or macro that will search through a list of tens of thousands of names, DOB, Indicitive information and pull out only the ones matching my exact search criteria.

I am using Excel 2007 software. I am NOT experianced with macros or VB.

I will be updating the data list once every day. So im not sure if its best to import the new list into a workbook that already has the code/macro. Or visa versa.. move the code/macro to the new workbook.

Any thoughts would be helpful!

Thanks,
Julie

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Hi Julie

1. Where are you getting your data from - is it another Excel file, or a database system or a text file?

2. How do you update new data - do you completely remove all the existing data and then paste in new stuff or is it just adding new records on to the bototm of the data?

3. Is the data organised in a traditional tabular format eg with headings across the top and data in all the rows beneath?

4. Have you used Autofilter before and if so does this achieve what you need?

Upvote 0
Hello,

Okay.. My data is coming from a excel file. Its a excel file i get from a government website. The whole file will be completely replaced with a new one daily. The data is organized traditional tabular format.

I have not used autofilter. Would that work with a string of names or will it only search one name at a time?

Thanks,
Julie

Upvote 0
No, it probably isn't suitable for a string of names. Will the names always be the same or will they change (ie depending on user input)? Which column of the data do the names appear in? I am assuming that you wish to search/filter the data based on the name?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andreguerra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back