Help with a reference list to automatically generate details

Sindagon

Dear All,

This is my first post on this forum. I have racked my brains trying to come up with an adequate solution but I haven't been able to find one that works so far. My problem is as follows:

I have a database which includes a list of people's names, surnames and I.D. numbers (in that order, in colums K, L and M respectively). These are on a sheet named "EMTP". These entries I just mentioned can be repeated in more than one row. On another sheet named "Patient List" I have the reference list of individual people's names, surnames and I.D. numbers, in columns A, B and C respectively, which I want to use as a reference. I somehow want to link the information in the reference list to the main information on the "EMTP" sheet in a way that will allow me to input the I.D. number only (in column M), and have the associated information (name and surname) pop up automatically in the adjacent cells in columns K and L, IF the patient is already in my "reference list". If nothing pops up, I will know it is a new one so I will need to be able to insert it into my reference list for future use.

Would anyone be able to help me with this because I'm at my wit's end.

Kindest Regards,
Sindagon

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Believe me I've tried. I even had a friend try to help me. He came up with an INDEX and MATCH formula but I haven't been able to get the cell references to match :(

The formula he suggested is as follows: =INDEX('Patient List'!$A$1:$C$999,MATCH($A11,'Patient List'!$A$1:$A$999,0),MATCH(EMTP!B$1,EMTP!$A$1:$C$1,0))

Tried replacing the references etc but nothing's working. I would think I would need two different formulas for columns K and L but I'm not sure. I'm out of ideas and shamelessly asking whether anyone would be able to write the formulas for me because the proble is way above my skill level.

Upvote 0
ok, in your "Patient List" sheet you will need ID as the first column.

in column n of your "EMPT" sheet,

=VLOOKUP(M2,'Patient List'!A:C,2,FALSE)

Upvote 0
Ah, can't have it in column N as it is hidden and in use in another formula that generates a code for the I.D.

Upvote 0
None required. Ah, still doesn't work. So in the Patients List Sheet I put the ID as the leftmost column. Still can't understand how to make it work :/ My sheets now look like the following:

"EMTP" sheet

K L M
Name Surname I.D.

"Patients List" sheet

A B C
I.D. Name Surname

123M John

Upvote 0
None required. Ah, still doesn't work. So in the Patients List Sheet I put the ID as the leftmost column. Still can't understand how to make it work :/ My sheets now look like the following:

I want to be able to input just the I.D. numbers into column M, so inputting 123M in column M would give me John in column K same row, and Doe in column N same row.

"EMTP" sheet
KLM
NameSurnameI.D.

<tbody>
</tbody>

"Patient List" sheet
ABC
I.D.NameSurname
123MJohnDoe
555LMaryWilkinson

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
I'm not sure but I would assume that the formula would have to link column's K, L and M for K and L to take information from M, which inturn would be linked to columns A, B and C on the other sheet.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shantanu2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back